New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

lord

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leoleo

leoleo is on a distinguished road

Help. Our old netgear router seems to be on it's way out.
We ve got a Macbook, iPad, iPhones, PC etc so thinking of getting AirPort Extreme: but it doesn't have a modem, right? So which one should I get?
Or would another router/modem do a good enough job? and if so, any recommendations?
Thanks.
ps I'm new here. What's a switcher? Am I in the wrong place?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Modems are usually supplied by your provider some have a wireless router built in.
More info please what provider and models of current gear (router and modem)
Switcher is someone that has been using another OS such as Windows and Linux and
has decided to switch or add a Mac for their needs.
You probably should have put this in Internet Networking and Wireless but at this point don't crosspost and let a Mod decide.
QUOTE Thanks
nwhear

nwhear is on a distinguished road

I am on cable and I find the Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router works well for my wireless needs and I use this rather than the Virgin superhub for wireless. It copes with my NAS and sonos system with out a glitch
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Another vote for Linskys modem/router 802.11N.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Aldo Ferrari

Aldo Ferrari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhear View Post
I am on cable and I find the Cisco-Linksys Maximum Performance E4200 Dual-Band N Router works well for my wireless needs and I use this rather than the Virgin superhub for wireless. It copes with my NAS and sonos system with out a glitch
I too own a e4200 linksys and it has been working fine with my macbook,iPhones and iPods. However I can't same the same about my samsung UN55C8000 TV and C6900 Samsung Blu-ray player.They are not compatible with these router, I've tried and everything to try to make it work with no success. So if you own any devices as the ones mentioned, Make sure they are compatible with 802.11N bands.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Ok, this is killing me. What does "lord" as the title have to do with the content of the original post? (Always a good idea for there to be a relationship between the two...)
QUOTE Thanks
nwhear

Lord alone knows which is the right router for me????
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I know that some folks use the term "LORD" when they're really frustrated with something...so maybe this is the meaning.

A better or more descriptive thread title could have been used.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nwhear

"Oh lord" or "good lord" are the usual of course many of us use more "spicey" words when realy frustrated I think - but each to their own
QUOTE Thanks
nwhear

+ of course the strange thread title did get us interested and look! So maybe a cunning ploy on the part of the OP!

Be nice to hace them feed back with outcome
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word attachments | Thanks Deck »