New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

hard drive queiries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alanpearson251

alanpearson251 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Beginner Powermac G4 Dual core 1125,1 gig memory,80 gig hd

Hi I have just purchased a 1125 dual core G4 as my introduction to the world of macs as a beginner with them I wondered if it is possible to reformat a 500 gig hard drive from my dell to use in it i have one and a half gig memory
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Take it you mean a 1.25GHz MDD G4? If the drive in the Dell is an IDE drive, pop it in and boot from your system install disc, go into Disk Utility and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) That will erase the drive and you will be right to go if the hard drive is good.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
alanpearson251

Thank you harryb248 the information helped me out no end it was an ide drive booted and working ok , I am as I say new to macs so any help you can give is greatly apreciated,I wish to upgrade the ram to 2gig,1 gig at present do I have to get mac specific ddr or will any generic work as I hold loads from old pcs i have scrapped
Many Thanks
Alan
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Yes specific memory. Macs are fussy about memory and use low density modules, whereas most PC's use cheaper high density. Suggest looking at suppliers such as OWC. Assuming you do have a MDD, here is a link to OWC memory for that precise model:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...71&type=Memory

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
alanpearson251

as ever a big thankyou to Harryb2448 I managed to get hold of 2 sticks of 512 mb memory from Scrumpymacs reasonably priced at £19 GB inc delivery certainly noticed a diffrence I cant believe I never migrated to macs before now wonderfull machine,I wondered if you could advise using sphos antivirus or reccomend some other
Many Thanks Alan
QUOTE Thanks
macrostheblack

macrostheblack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive

gday I would suggest you read Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ before installing any anti virus software on your Mac. Frankly most Mac users find this software to be more trouble then its worth on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mail 5.1 global inbox | Mac OS-X Back-Up: Time Machine, Super, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility? »