New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Edit scans

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZVHR

ZVHR is on a distinguished road

How can i edit a scanned document?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

what software have you got and what kind of doc are you wishing to edit?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ZVHR

Thx for responding . I don't think i have anything but the original mac software and word that i bought from apple. I'm not sure what you mean by what type of doc. It was created on a dell
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think what he is asking is whether it is a graphic or text file. Note that unless you are using character recognition software even a text document will essentially be treated as though it is a graphic.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

One thing to know about scanners is that they're dumb - they have no idea what they're scanning so, unless you're using special software, they generally treat everything like it's a picture. Thus, if it's a text document, you can't edit it unless it was scanned with OCR (optical character recognition) software. If you're just looking to edit a scanned picture, you can easily do so as you would any other picture.

What kind of document/scan are you trying to edit?

EDIT: Sly beat me to the punch! I'm too slow.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ZVHR

Yes it's a text. How can i get this ocr software? Thx
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Check the software that came with the scanner. Some models will have basic OCR software included. This should give you an idea of some of the available options OCR Scanning Software for Mac: 4 Apps Compared | Mac.AppStorm

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
ZVHR

I downloaded velocraptor. Can someone please tell me how to use it to edit a document. Thx
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The screencast section of their website has a demonstration video that should answer your question (here). In essence, you can't edit the document but you can copy the text and search it like you would a regular document.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ZVHR

Thx. Is there any software available that would enable editing?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

TextEdit is included on your Mac and opens all kinds of text documents, even Word files. I'm kind of surprised that it didn't "just open" when you double-clicked on your text document.
QUOTE Thanks
ZVHR

To chas man loved your essay macs are the greatest. I'm talking about editing a scanned document. The software i downloaded worked fpr 1 doc nd not others. I'm sure it's me but i ........ Oh one more thing does anyone know how to get rid of or at least lessen the colored disk. I tried apple support but still no good. Thx
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Hm.. most things are already said here, but it sometimes helps if people say it in a different way:

1)
You put something onto your scanner - the scanner takes something like a high resolution image of it and stores it in a certain file format on your computer. This is often pdf, jpg, png, ... It didn't matter what you scanned - those are just images to your computer. This means, if it's text, you cannot edit that text. If it's an image you could open it with Photoshop or something like that, and work on it.
2) As previously mentioned: Some scanners come with OCR software, still take a picture of the text you are trying to scan and tries to "read" the text and converts the image into a word document. That war you can edit the text. I have tried that before - doesn't really work super well in my opinion.

Hope that helps to clear things up a bit for you...

Cheers!

QUOTE Thanks
ZVHR

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can anyone help with turbo lister - garage sale | Finder Menu Bar »