New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

changing folder permissions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dubbi

dubbi is on a distinguished road

My library folder (located under my Mac folder) has Read Only permissions to wheel and everyone (and read and write permissions to Fetching). I want to change all permissions to Read and Write but the area is greyed out and doesn't give me the option to change it. How do I fix it so I can change these permission??

Thanks!!!
Mickey
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you're talking about /Library or /System/Library, the permissions are limited for a reason. There should be no reason to have write privileges to that directory as a regular user. Why do you need write privileges?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dubbi

Thanks Vansmith for your quick response!!!
I have a software called babylon (a translator) that I recently migrated from my other computer. (I also upgraded my mac-mini to lion which I'm not sure has anything to do with that as the software worked well before). Every time it launched it required I input my registration number. I contacted the support group which gave me the following instruction that should fix the problem:

They asked me to delete a file and then do the following:

Go to : Mac\users\*user you’re logged in* \Library\Right Click on the “Preferences” folder and press the “Get info”.
Change all the users permission to “Read & Write”.

Go to :Mac\Library\Right Click on the “Preferences” folder and press the “Get info”.

Change all the users permission to “Read & Write”.

When I attempted to follow them and make all permissions read/right I noticed I can't do that.
Now when I launch the translator and input in the registration number it says: "Babylon cannot update preferences directory, your license can not be saved."

Any ideas??

Thanks again!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

The first Library folder (your user one) is writable by default so you shouldn't have to change that. You don't have read/write permissions to the second one for good reason. In fact, I have to question the credibility of the tech support agent you talked to if they want to you change the permissions of the entire folder to read/write.

Is there perhaps a particular folder in /Library that you need to work with?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dubbi

The folder in Library that he requested I delete the file is preferences but I can't change this folder's permissions too. You have a very good point about their credibility. I'll go back and challenge their instructions. Thanks!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Did he say to delete the whole preferences folder? If so, I'd ask to speak to a different agent. To be blunt, he clearly has no idea what he's doing. His solution is overkill and at best, it's a blanket solution (which makes me really think that he had no idea what he was talking about).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Did he say to delete the whole preferences folder? If so, I'd ask to speak to a different agent. To be blunt, he clearly has no idea what he's doing. His solution is overkill and at best, it's a blanket solution (which makes me really think that he had no idea what he was talking about).
Eh, it DOES work though

If you decided to try this, just move the /Library/Preferences folder to a different name. Same same... and reversible.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac. What should I do first? | Haters? »