New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Future noob questions - VPN, activex...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pgalligan

pgalligan is on a distinguished road

GDay,

I will be buying a MBP in the next month. It'll be my first Mac. I'm resigned to the fact that I will have to run Windows on it for some work apps but will try and avoid that as much as possible.

I know Cisco have an IPSec VPN client for Mac, but I'm wondering what other VPN connectivity options are available? I assume there is built in VPN connectivity? Most importantly which is the most stable?

The thing that will annoy me the most is if I have to run IE due to some websites using ActiveX. I imagine Safari won't run ActiveX? Is my only option here to run these crappy sites in IE in a Windows VM or Bootcamp?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

ActiveX is a windows thing, so yep.. you'll have to run a VM or bootcamp windows version. I'm really not sure why on earth anyone would code a website that can only be viewed under one specific browser.

I can't answer your VPN question specifically, although I do know that VPN is built in. I just don't know what protocols are used.

Edit: here's a screenshot from VPN setup.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-11-26 at 8.34.34 PM.png (43.1 KB, 9 views)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook pro, screen stays dark??? | Copying DVD's »