New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Laptop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oliphant8457

oliphant8457 is on a distinguished road

I am looking at Mac Book pro. I do not know which one to buy. I will have to take this laptop to high school for this program called readaloud. where you get books read to you. I do lots of web development. I will be doing web surfing. I am debating between the 13 inch monitor and the 15 inch monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliphant8457 View Post
I am looking at Mac Book pro. I do not know which one to buy. I will have to take this laptop to high school for this program called readaloud. where you get books read to you. I do lots of web development. I will be doing web surfing. I am debating between the 13 inch monitor and the 15 inch monitor.
First thing you need to do is decide between the 13" and 15" models. This is strictly a personal choice...and not really something someone else can say "get this or get that".

Once you decide on the display size...your choices will be cut in half...and we can move forward from there.

You might also tell us if you have some sort of max. budget...because if so, this may eliminate some models...and further reduce the choices.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Scott64

Scott64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD

I recently (2 weeks ago) went for the 13 inch because I wanted to get in as cheaply as possible (and still be able to upgrade the RAM/HDD myself). I was worried about the 13.3" screen, but the touchpad gestures and easy desktop switching (3-finger swipe) make it VERY usable even at that size. And it's 1280x800, which is a pretty standard resolution for slightly larger screens on other types of laptops (higher DPI is always nice), anyway (GF's 15" Toshiba is 1280x800). If I get really desperate for screen real-estate, I also picked up a mini DP-> HDMI (and another for VGA), so I can attach another monitor (when one is available).

My decision was MOSTLY based on price, but I'm not dissatisfied with the size of the screen.

-Scott
QUOTE Thanks
LenInSebastopol

LenInSebastopol is on a distinguished road

Consider, as well, your visuals in web design. I've no idea what that is or means, but if you are writing code then the smaller screen would not be necessary, one would think. If you are using programs that require placement of visuals and even working in some paint program to modify the visuals, then one would think the larger screen comes to the fore. I've got a MBP 17" and it is a bear to lug around. Wife has a new MBA and it is a breeze. Of course all is moot considering the touch pad, but you might consider the above in your calcs. Good luck and Happy Byrd Day.
QUOTE Thanks
oliphant8457

my budget is 2,500. I am thinking of the 15 inch mac book pro
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
my budget is 2,500. I am thinking of the 15 inch mac book pro
That's a pretty big budget...and if you think you're going to go with the 15"...then you basically only have two stock 15" MacBook Pro configurations to choose from (both within your budget):

MacBook Pro - Shop Apple Laptop & Notebook Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

So you just have to choose one...and you're good to go.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
oliphant8457

will it matter which one i want to do web development then i need it for high schol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
will it matter which one i want to do web development then i need it for high schol
I seriously doubt that you need the more expensive 15" MacBook Pro (both available models will most likely be more computing power than you need).

But both models are within your budget...so you have to decide how much money you want to spend. I'm sure either model will get the job done.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I do all my web design on a 13" MB. If I ever did need the biger screen I would just hook it up to my 27" monitor or work on my 27" iMac.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
oliphant8457

what cable would i need to hook it up to my imac
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
what cable would i need to hook it up to my imac
It would be helpful if you told us what iMac model you have. Since iMac's have been around since 1999...there are LOTS of differences.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
oliphant8457

i have the early 2011
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
i have the early 2011
If you are buying a new MBP and already have the 2011 iMac you could use a thunderbolt cable.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro CD | mac book pro update »