New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

is it possible that more RAM has slowed down my iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

c0tcha

c0tcha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5-inch 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Quad core i5, 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.2

Hey there guys, im new to the Forum so im sorry if i have put this thread in the wrong section. i own a 2011 21.5-inch iMac (2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
500GB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB) while browsing Amazon i came across some 'Crucial' memory upgrades, i ordered 8gb (2x4gb) which arrived quickly and i installed with out a proplem. how ever. now my imac feels slower and less responsive, i have no actually way of testing speed (that i know of) just wondering if this is actually possible, can more ram make your mac slower??
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Was it definately DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC) ?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If he purchased it from Crucial it was probably the correct modules provided he used the Crucial memory updater.

To the OP:

The two new 4 GB modules.... which slot did you put them in, upper or lower bank? The larger modules should go in the upper bank which means removing the two smaller modules and moving them to the lower bank.
QUOTE Thanks
c0tcha

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5-inch 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Quad core i5, 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.2

Thanks for your replies. I didn't remove the smaller modules from the upper bank, I just placed them in the lower. I didn't realise that would actually make a difference? I shall do that right now and let you know if it has any affect.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Give that a try but be careful removing the smaller modules. The slots in the banks on an iMac are very tight. Let us know if it makes a difference. Also allow the machine to reboot several times to build up the caches.
QUOTE Thanks
c0tcha

lol ok. well I cant actually get them back out I dont wanna try using pliers. but I think thats the only way i'm going to get them out, they really are tight hahaha
QUOTE Thanks
c0tcha

Right. managed to remove them with a small pair of modelling pliers. Swapped them over (after scratching one of the 2gb's chip. it seems to be working fine.... thankfully) and it does actually appear to be running better. not sure if its a placebo or not but lets hope that has 'fixed' it. Also i hope that my slightly damaged ram chip doesn't break in a few days (guess i should count myself lucky it wasnt one of the 4gb chips thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, great. Glad to hear you got them out with breaking anything. By the way, there used to be a small tool available for removing memory modules. I haven't seen one around for awhile and I guess it's because the size and shape of the various modules have changed over the years.

What is useful to remove modules (and this might sound odd) is a small set of rubber tipped forceps that lock. You actually need two of them. Lock on to the left and right side of the module and gently rock them up and down like a see-saw and that gets them out without damage.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

There is a small black plastic "tab" that is just underneath the memory sticks...you need to pull on that tab to properly remove the memory from an iMac...fwiw...
QUOTE Thanks
c0tcha

I did think that codda. cos its the same tab system to remove the battery on the iphone 4. however i was a little reluctant to tug really hard to see if it did remove it because when i tried that with my iPhone 4 i snapped the tab
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by codda View Post
There is a small black plastic "tab" that is just underneath the memory sticks...you need to pull on that tab to properly remove the memory from an iMac...fwiw...
On the newer iMacs the slots are so tight (don't know why) the tab doesn't work like it should. And there is a chance it will snap. The module tabs work fine on the new MB and MBP though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless printer Setup help pls | External monitor and Macbook Pro »