New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

display issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hari.p

hari.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I'm using a macbook pro and I usually use an external monitor display.

Earlier with Snow Leapord, I wouldn't turn off the computer. Just put it to sleep. When i woke up the screen all my windows would be in their correct spaces. No issues.

Since the time i've installed Lion, i'm unable do that.

When i wake up the monitor, i see half windows of some programs - sometimes the screen is blank. When i move from one space to another, also the same issue. So i have to shutdown - restart - open the 7 - 8 programs that i usually work on, one by one ..

Is anybody else having this issue? Or can anything be done about it?

Many thanks for the help - deeply appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
royco

royco is on a distinguished road

hi hari.p, I recently crossed the floor from PC and bought a MBP 13. I have a Samsung T260 external monitor and Apple wired keyboard for Photoshop editing. Don't know if this is related to your issue, but after a good sleep the monitor and keyboard are not recognized. This seems to be a common problem with Mac portables. I have to unplug and re-plug the peripherals to get them to work again, a RPITA! But, quicker than re-booting etc. It seems Apple will never get this right, so I thought maybe they should supply mini-display to HDMI adapters as well as usb adapters with a little push button to momentarily break and re-make the connection. This is driving me nuts.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco View Post
hi hari.p, I recently crossed the floor from PC and bought a MBP 13. I have a Samsung T260 external monitor and Apple wired keyboard for Photoshop editing. Don't know if this is related to your issue, but after a good sleep the monitor and keyboard are not recognized. This seems to be a common problem with Mac portables. I have to unplug and re-plug the peripherals to get them to work again, a RPITA! But, quicker than re-booting etc. It seems Apple will never get this right, so I thought maybe they should supply mini-display to HDMI adapters as well as usb adapters with a little push button to momentarily break and re-make the connection. This is driving me nuts.
Not quite sure what is going on here yet but I don't think it is exactly a common problem I've used a similar configuration to what you describe (different Samsung monitor with both wired and wireless keyboards). I haven't had this issue.

Try going into your Utilities folder and launching an app called ""Console". Click on the System logs and look for any errors at about the time the system went to sleep or the time you attempted to wake it up. Let us know any error messages that appear.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's not a common problem. I've used a Samsung external monitor and Apple wired keyboard with my MacBook for 3 years and never had that happen even after long sleep sessions. If the monitor and keyboard are not recognized after the machine wakes, there's something else causing it.
QUOTE Thanks
royco

royco is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I will check Console next time it happens. Maybe it is not that common, but I did find various similar issues when Googling it. BTW I had this with Lion and Snow Leopard. My MBP came with a free Lion upgrade which I installed. After 3 weeks getting all my programs cross-graded and re-installed my new large format Epson 9890 would not work as the drivers were not yet ready. This meant a complete re-install of S. Leopard. After another 3 weeks getting everything right, it works perfectly. This week the Lion drivers became available. I just knew that would happen....... Bummer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I delete a message on more than one device? | How to split large files ? »