New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just installed a new hard drive and now my fan is spinning at max speed.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Star Nuts

Star Nuts is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using an iMac 20'' early 2008 edition and I'm pretty sure I jacked something up. My last just HDD failed so I installed a new one last night. It was my first time every opening up the machine and installing anything, so it was a bit scary. Overall, it wasn't too bad but I did make one mistake. When unplugging the temperature sensor, I pulled on the wire instead of the plastic thing and the metal wires came out. I tried to stuff the wires back in and they seemed to fit back in fine. Anyways, once I started the machine, the fan was blasting at full speed.

That was yesterday. Today, I went back in assuming that I connected it wrong, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I unplugged the wires again and tried putting them in a little more firm. Still blasting away.

Then I tried doing a SMC reset, but that didn't work. I've downloaded two fan control programs, but can't get either of them to lower the fan speed. I tried HDD Fan Control Monitor Demo and iMac Fan Control.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I can't help but feel I'm going to blow the fan motor out if I leave it like this too long.
QUOTE Thanks
Star Nuts

Oh, and I'm hoping none of these suggestions require me to go back into the computer. I don't have the proper tools, so I feel like some screws may be close to fully stripping.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads - please do no crosspost.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Nuts View Post
Oh, and I'm hoping none of these suggestions require me to go back into the computer. I don't have the proper tools, so I feel like some screws may be close to fully stripping.
You destroyed the temperature sensor by pulling the wires out. You can't just shove them back in and expect the sensor to work. You need to replace the sensor otherwise the fans will operate full speed and will likely fail before long.
QUOTE Thanks
Star Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You destroyed the temperature sensor by pulling the wires out. You can't just shove them back in and expect the sensor to work. You need to replace the sensor otherwise the fans will operate full speed and will likely fail before long.
Are there any fan apps that let you adjust the fan speed without basing it off the current temperature? Say a low, medium, or high speed? I'm probably gonna have to order something online and I'm stationed in Germany right now, so I'm expecting it won't arrive for the next few weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can give SMCFanControl a try. Not sure how effective it will be with the not working temperature sensor but since it's free, worth giving it a shot. Let us know if it works for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine (2nd version) | Please help me with my new keyboard »