New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

macbook running slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sherryl

sherryl is on a distinguished road

My macbook is more than three years old. Suddenly, it has started running slow. I only use the safari & pages. Both are problematic. I'm seeing lots of the spinning wheel and both crash.
Thanks for any wise words that might help.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

If those are the only applications you are running, then something must be wrong. Try using an application like CleanMyMac to clean your notebook and see if that helps. If not, I'd suggest a fresh install of Mac OS X (Leopard or w.e version you have).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryl View Post
My macbook is more than three years old. Suddenly, it has started running slow. I only use the safari & pages. Both are problematic. I'm seeing lots of the spinning wheel and both crash.
Thanks for any wise words that might help.
Download the free OnyX and use it in automatic mode to clean out the caches, repair permissions, and so forth. Stay away from junk ware such as Clean my Mac or MacKeeper.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

But I've been using CleanMyMac for about six months now and it is one of the best applications I have had for my Mac. Why do you consider it junk ware?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Because it sometimes "cleans" things that do not need to be cleaned. Many folks have gotten into trouble using it and also MacKeeper. Do a search of our forums to get an idea.....
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Well, I use it to clean the Caches and use AppZapper to completely remove applications. That duo work like a charm for me.
QUOTE Thanks
sherryl

sherryl is on a distinguished road

I downloaded Onyx and couldn't open it. Problem remains. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's because you downloaded the wrong version of OnyX. Go back and download the version that is for your version of OS X. Older versions are linked to on his home page.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the best/easy way to make dvd movies backups? | Newbie saying hello »