Thread: Wireless Mouse

Wireless Mouse
    Hi,
    Should the batteries in a relatively new wireless mouse be running out after a few weeks? I have the iMac just a few months and am on second set with a signal now to say they are running out again?Or is that the norm? It's only used for recreation purpose and is not being worked all day.Thank you

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    doesn't sound right. You sure the batteries were new? i say this as i have been tricked before.

are they long life?

Yeah,Duracell !

Morning,
    All batteries self-discharge.

Assuming these are alkaline batteries, they have an estimated self-discharge of 2% to 3% per year so can potentially have a shelf life between 7 to 10 years.

I can't imagine the mouse drawing any sort of meaningful current in a quiescent state so I would get shot of them because they may damage your mouse.

I use the Apple supplied battery charger , it comes with 6 batteries and you can always have a pair charged at hand.

Thanks pendlewitch.Will buy some new stock and have a look a the Apple charger.

Hi again pendlewitch.Have checked the charger and it is quite reasonable even in this expensive island I live on so that is they way to go rather than buying any more batteries.Thanks again

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It's been my experience that mouse batteries for the Magic Mouse DO only last a few weeks between recharges (I use rechargeables of course). Two things that helps them last longer:

1. Turn the mouse off when you're not going to use it for a prolonged period (ie, sleeping)
    2. Use 2100mAh-rated batteries or higher.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    Yeah,Duracell !
    that's funny!, i was thinking of them but coudn't spell it so didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    It's been my experience that mouse batteries for the Magic Mouse DO only last a few weeks between recharges (I use rechargeables of course). Two things that helps them last longer:

1. Turn the mouse off when you're not going to use it for a prolonged period (ie, sleeping)
    2. Use 2100mAh-rated batteries or higher.
    That's correct, we expect too much from primary cells and rechargeables.

One of the biggest factors influencing rechargeables is the quality of charger and I am assuming Apple have done their homework here because mine have given me no problems at all.

The Apple ones I note are rated at 1900 mAh minimum, but don't exceed the voltage though.

I went to the pack of batteries to see if I could find if they were 2100Ah as I have never heard of that before and wouldn't know where to look and whilst I didn't find any info on that,I did see(for the first time duh) the tester strip on the batteries.I duly pressed the two dots and the yellow band only fills about three quarters of the line ! So I guess that's that issue solved.The batteries have seen better days.

Specs:
    mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
    Had my imac nearly 2 years and my batteries have never gone more than 2 weeks between charges, the magic mouse does in my experience drain batteries very quick, heard quite a few people comment on this. Even brand new Duracells like you used i wouldnt have expected any more than 3-4 weeks from.

Quote Originally Posted by bazanders View Post
    Had my imac nearly 2 years and my batteries have never gone more than 2 weeks between charges, the magic mouse does in my experience drain batteries very quick, heard quite a few people comment on this. Even brand new Duracells like you used i wouldnt have expected any more than 3-4 weeks from.
    That's short, but then I'm using a Magic Trackpad and Mouse.

What sort of batteries are you using and what is your charging regime?

You batteries may just need renewing.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Magic and Mighty Mouse get three months on average from Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and keyboards about eight months. Never had a good run yet from rechargeables.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Magic and Mighty Mouse get three months on average from Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and keyboards about eight months. Never had a good run yet from rechargeables.
    So that's another option for the OP then...to charge or not to charge.
    I'm in the charge camp for convenience .

Thread Information