New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

2012 macbook pro optical drive


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
why are so many people anti optical drive in the 2012 macbook pros? why do people want the optical drive taken out why pay £1550 for a macbook pro without a optical drive then its just an expensive macbook air why pay £50 for an external and carry that around when you can have it built in the macbook is the entry mac the macbook air is the portable mac the macbook pro is the power house of the notebooks if you don't use a optical drive get the air or a £200 net book taking out the optical drive in the macbook pro would make it a macbook air.
QUOTE Thanks
pepsican

 
Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
Posts: 52
pepsican is on a distinguished road

pepsican is offline
It's becoming less and less of a need for most users. You can buy a 8GB thumb drive for $10 and have the same amount of storage. Most programs you can download over the internet. I personally have only used my MBP's disc drive once to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I would rather have a lighter/cooler/cheaper machine. Freeing up the internals would most likely help those 3 things happen.
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsican View Post
It's becoming less and less of a need for most users. You can buy a 8GB thumb drive for $10 and have the same amount of storage. Most programs you can download over the internet. I personally have only used my MBP's disc drive once to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I would rather have a lighter/cooler/cheaper machine. Freeing up the internals would most likely help those 3 things happen.
i fully agree with lighter /cooler and cheaper the reason the pro runs hot is because the gpu and cpu are on the same heat sync so the heat from the gpu goes through the cpu this was just bad design and the vents were the heat is expelled is only 1cm high witch is not adequate to cool and i7 chip as far as weight`it would only save 400 grams max you would hardly notice it if your paying 1500 pounds or 1799 dollers you want as mutch as you can get for you money not less in my view take out the optical drive its just a macbook air pro
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
You're getting upset about your guesses about the prices of a product that is rumored to come out next year.

Why don't you file your argument away in your Stickies for when this rumored product actually comes out, and there are actual facts to debate? Trust me, rumors about Apple products are wrong more often than they're right.
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
You're getting upset about your guesses about the prices of a product that is rumored to come out next year.

Why don't you file your argument away in your Stickies for when this rumored product actually comes out, and there are actual facts to debate? Trust me, rumors about Apple products are wrong more often than they're right.
i am not upset in any way shape or form i am just trying to understand why so many mac users are against optical drives i am all for lighter cooler and faster but why take away features & abilities and pay an extra £50 for an external dvd drive the mac mini they took out the dvd drive then people are paying a extra £50 for and external dvd drive i just want to know why people are anti dvd drives built in and then are willing to buy an external
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 25,101
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
Could you point to one reviewer, one article or one blog where someone has come out as "anti" optical drives or stated they "wanted" the optical drive removed from the MBP or otherwise "against" optical drives? I have not seen those. Not even as I sit here typing on my MBA that does not have an optical drive.

I'd suggest you're barking up the wrong tree.

Having an understanding that there are a great many people that do not need a particular thing, does not equal being "against" that thing.

Since you're talking about optical drives, I have 2 Macs here with optical drives that have not had a CD or DVD touch them except for an OS disc in at least 3 years. I personally use 3 Win boxes at the office - none of the boxes I use there have had an optical disc inserted into them in at least 5 years. This is definitely not the case with my Win7 HTPC.

However, I can certainly see that there would be a great many users that have absolutely no need for an optical drive today when everything is available via download and even with hard drive prices on their way back up currently, still a better option than backing up to disc.

Why should everyone pay for something that not everyone wants or needs?

But, as Tech pointed out above, this is all useless talk as rumors with Apple products, more often than not, end up being just that... rumors that never come to fruition.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

 
Groovetube's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 290
Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

Groovetube is offline
quite honestly, my nearly 2 year old MBP, I've used the optical drive maybe, 5 times. I'd much rather it wasn't there, and could have 2 hard drives for instance. I'd be fine with an external on the desk for when I need one.
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
@bobtomay here are some quotes


I pray that the odd gets removed it's so pathetic. Everyone who cries for one is a big baby. Just get a super slim external it looks cool too. What? Need a drive all the time? Heck if you do you need a desktop. Removing odd will help make it slimmer. Ivy bridge is going to be amazing and that's what apple is waiting for IMO. Steve is going to pair the all new mbp body with the new CPUs and be able to claim 9-10 hrs battery life or more which will be huge. Or maybe he's waiting for the gpu shrinkage too? Then maybe 10-12 hr claims?

When steve jumps into a lake he doesn't get wet. The lake gets Steve Jobbs.



Because the last redesign was October 2008.

The best thing would be the removal of the ODD - taken it's place a better heatsink/fan operation for cooler operating temperatures, AND a way bigger battery. Imagine using that 1/3 of the current size for a 1/3 increase in battery capacity.


Its funny how people keep saying make it thinner. The MBP is already thinner, better built and better looking then most laptops on the market. I say keep the design remove the ODD, add a bigger battery, Ivy bridge, better graphics, SSD, 3 or 4 USB 3.0 ports, thunderbolt and then separate audio in and out ports on the 13" version

All computers to carry HR displays, IB, one TB port, 2 x USB 3 and SD (except 11").
MBP to carry above, plus:
*one x FW 800
*discrete graphics
*dual drive, SSD/HDD setup
* NO ODD

that would be PERFECT! if only they remove the odd too

these are just a few all want odd out
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
quite honestly, my nearly 2 year old MBP, I've used the optical drive maybe, 5 times. I'd much rather it wasn't there, and could have 2 hard drives for instance. I'd be fine with an external on the desk for when I need one.
you can buy kits were you can take out the odd and put a second hdd or a ssd in i just think is unfair to make people who use the optical drive go and buy a external drive when its been in every mac and is in a 200 note book most people who need extra storage use a hdd tower its easer to carry a 250gb hdd than a optical drive
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,067
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

iggibar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti1073 View Post
you can buy kits were you can take out the odd and put a second hdd or a ssd in i just think is unfair to make people who use the optical drive go and buy a external drive when its been in every mac and is in a 200 note book most people who need extra storage use a hdd tower its easer to carry a 250gb hdd than a optical drive
Yep! It's called a Data Doubler from Other World Computing. I'm using it right now on my MacBook Pro. It's real nice! I believe one of the biggest reasons why the superdrive might be leaving soon is because, as of right now, it is the sole hardware on the Macbook Pro line that can't get thinner unless you remove it. The use of disks on-the-go is seldom when the use of disks in general is unbelievably low for general use. Apple has already moved OSX to usb/web installs, so no you technically don't need it unless some program only has the option of installing via a disk, or a game. Also, there is so much potential to be had with the space that the superdrive takes up.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Yep! It's called a Data Doubler from Other World Computing. I'm using it right now on my MacBook Pro. It's real nice! I believe one of the biggest reasons why the superdrive might be leaving soon is because, as of right now, it is the sole hardware on the Macbook Pro line that can't get thinner unless you remove it. The use of disks on-the-go is seldom when the use of disks in general is unbelievably low for general use. Apple has already moved OSX to usb/web installs, so no you technically don't need it unless some program only has the option of installing via a disk, or a game. Also, there is so much potential to be had with the space that the superdrive takes up.
personally i think its thin enough its sexy stylish and classy i accept dvd is not as popular as it one was but realistically all the macbook pro woul need is a bigger exhaust port the gpu and cup on separate heat sync bigger space between usb ports and a usb 3.0 and the macbook pro would be epic add more not trade features is the way to go the thinner means less strength
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,067
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

iggibar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti1073 View Post
thinner means less strength
Assuming it's a regular PC notebook that's put together from many pieces. Have you held a MacBook Air yet? Doesn't get more sturdy than that in my opinion!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Assuming it's a regular PC notebook that's put together from many pieces. Have you held a MacBook Air yet? Doesn't get more sturdy than that in my opinion!

yes i have what im saying is if you make the aluminium lighter aka thinner you reduce the structural strength fact. the macbook pro has a higher structural strength because it has a thicker body ive seen vids were the macbook pro 15"/13" had been ran over and still booted up and was virtually intact.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

 
Groovetube's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 290
Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

Groovetube is offline
well there's a name I recognize from afar.

I think the move from optical has pretty much already happened. I haven't received a cd/dvd from client in probably at least 2 years. One of the bands I'm in, we are considering a vinyl run, then a download code for mp3s,or usb keys with lots of content.
no cds, because people only rip them anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
bugatti1073

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2011
Posts: 50
bugatti1073 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB

bugatti1073 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
It seems you haven't addressed the main point that everyone in this thread other than you has been making: the average person really doesn't use the optical drive all that much anymore.

I just picked up an 8GB thumb drive for $12 at my local DRUGSTORE. I enjoy not having to a) vastly increase the internal heat of my computer with the spinning drive and b) know I'm not adding innumerable silver discs to landfills all the time.

I have an external burner I picked up somewhere for less than $20 and a case I picked up for about the same amount some time back. I have tended to use it on the odd occasion when I needed to burn something rather than the internal optical drive because if the external one craps out, who cares? But if the internal one craps out, that's an expensive fix.

The bottom line is that logic dictates that as people stop using a product, it shouldn't be included as standard equipment. Optical drives are now largely in that category. Put another way, when was the last time you bought a car with standard transmission? Or a phone with a dial? Or a TV with a knob on it?
i agree odd are not as popular as they were 3 years ago but they are still a part of our day and will be for years to come. i buy cds from hmv and play.com i like to always have a hard copy so if they take out the odd i will be boned i will sell this pc when and if i get the new mac pro so i will have cds and no way to rip them to my itunes because i dont have a odd. and i live in the uk so manual gears aka transmission are standard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Wireless Mouse | iTunes won't sync photos »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4, best 500 GB hard drive kill4kam Apple Notebooks 18 09-08-2010 11:16 PM
iMac, Macbook Pro, external drive not playing nice MarkY Internet, Networking, and Wireless 1 10-23-2009 10:27 AM
MacBook Pro Newbie Concerns mo949252 Switcher Hangout 13 12-21-2007 11:30 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?