New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adding birthdays to address book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

subrosa

subrosa is on a distinguished road

I created a new field for birthdays on the address card but it won't accept the date when I try to type it in. When I click on 'birthday' a narrow box and another box with an up or down blue arrow appears but it is unresponsive.

It worked one time (don't know how) but the date appeared as December 31, 2000 (incorrect). The good news is that it is synchronized to iCalendar - wrong date but hey, that's progress!

Wish they would cover this topic under 'help'.

MacBook Pro Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
Address Book Version 5.0.3 (883)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Add the birthdays to Address Book. Then, in iCal's preferences, tell it to add the Birthday Calendar. Done.
QUOTE Thanks
subrosa

Cannot add birthdays to address book. The birthday field is unresponsive.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you going to the Card drop down and choosing Add Field and clicking on Birthday? That always works for me and adds a Birthday field.
QUOTE Thanks
subrosa

Yes, and the birthday field appears in the card okay but it won't accept anything. It gives off a little pong sound when I try to type something in.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Have you clicked on the "edit" button down at the bottom??
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with Chas. If you are clicking edit, can you add to any other field?
QUOTE Thanks
subrosa

No the edit button isn't working for birthdays. On all other fields, the space turns blue and you can type in (or edit) the information...all except for birthdays. Thanks for all your time and patience. I guess I can live without the birthday function until the next time I'm at the Apple Storel
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I am wondering if maybe the plist file for Address book is messed up. You can try moving it to your desktop and then Address book will make a new one and see if that solves the issue.

The Address book plists are in User/Username/Library/Preferences. If you are running Lion, you have to go to the GO menu and hold down Option and the Library will appear. Be sure to move them to the desktop in case that does not fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
subrosa

I don't have Lion. I don't know where the GO menu is or even "User/Username/Library/Preferences". I'm lost. I went to Finder < Administrator < Library < Preferences. Is this what you are referring to? There is more than one: AddressBookMe.phlist & com.apple.AddressBook.plist. Is this what you are referring to?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

In Snow Leopard:

Click on the hard drive icon. Click on Users. Click on your Username. Click on Library, then on Preferences. Look for those files there.

Like I said, do not delete them but just move them to your desktop and then launch Address Book and see what happens.

Report back.
QUOTE Thanks
subrosa

I did what you suggested and when I went into address book I had lost many of my contacts. I went back and dragged the file back in off the desktop. The message came up "this will replace existing file" and I said ok. The address book with all the contacts came back to the original (much to my relief). I think I will leave things the way they are until I can take my computer into the shop.This is way beyond my expertise level. I do appreciate you taking the time to help. Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

That was why I had you move them to the desktop. Did you try the Birthday Field though when you did that to see if it worked with the new files?
QUOTE Thanks
subrosa

Yes, I opened Address Book each time to check if it would accept birthday entries and even restarted the computer. Didn't know if that was necessary but updates usually require a restart so I went ahead and did it. My Mac is 2 years old, my sister has an identical model which is 1 year old, and a friend has a brand new MacAir. They both can add birthdays. My sister said she would come over and set mine up. She fiddled for quite awhile and then said that there must be a problem with my Address Book.
QUOTE Thanks
fourtake

fourtake is on a distinguished road

You have to type the birthday as followed:
05/03/1971
the day, the month, the year
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switcher: Web Broadcaster Program on Mac? | "Home" and "End" keys on the standard keyboard »