New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Recessed desk for iMac 27

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DOCJDH

DOCJDH is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a computer desk with a recessed opening to fit the iMac 27 monitor. Sitting of a regular desk the viewing angle is too much upgaze to be comfortable. There are many desks on the Internet with recessed openings so that the monitor can be lowered and even tilted back.

So far I have found none to fit the iMac 27 unit (which has a horizontal width of 25 5/8 inches.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck finding an alternative.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It might be helpful to provide a photo of the sort of desk you're talking about (from a website) or a camera if you see a desk at a local store (a picture is worth a thousand words).

Even if it's not a perfect match...something similar will help.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DOCJDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
It might be helpful to provide a photo of the sort of desk you're talking about (from a website) or a camera if you see a desk at a local store (a picture is worth a thousand words).

Even if it's not a perfect match...something similar will help.

- Nick
Check out some of these web pages
iMac Computer Tables and Apple Mac Computer Desks--Tables for Mac Pro, Apple Cinema Displays, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and iMac

Paravision Semi-Recessed Monitor Unit, 2560NP by Paragon by Paragon | BizChair.com[2560NP-PARG]&CAWELAID=551957192

Paragon F2460 Semi-Recessed Paravision Computer Teacher Desk with Pedestal

Most have holes cut so that the monitor can be lowered into the hole and tilted back some - therefore there is a support mount underneat to set the monitor stand.
QUOTE Thanks
DOCJDH

Here is a photo if it comes through
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Wow...thanks a lot for the links & photos...very interesting and enlightening. I didn't realize these sort of desks/tables existed.

So it sounds like the main issue is (as you stated in post #1)...finding one of these tables for a 27" iMac. My BIG question for you is...do you REALLY want to spend the sort of money you're going to need top spend to get one of these?

I'm pretty familiar with the prices of institutional, academic, commercial quality/durability computer desks like this...and as a couple of the links you included show...these sort of desks can cost $700-$1000+...and maybe more for a 27" iMac (if one can be found).

These desks are pretty neat...but also pretty pricey.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

If your desk is against a wall you can get an adaptor to replace the stand, which will then fit onto a standard adjustable TV wall bracket.

Failing that there is always this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d533934a379bacc13fde7c02f30dfcd6.jpg (4.6 KB, 61 views)

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

As pendlewitch mentions you can get a vesa mount to replace the stand on the 27" iMac.

Couple this with a tilting wall bracket and you could acheive what you want with any desk.

I'd shy away from a desk with a cutout for the iMac for three reasons:
1. you risk obscuring the vents along the bottom edge
2. The speakers will be pushing the sound into/under the desk
3. you may well obscure access to the usb/audio/video/firewire posts on the rear

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
As pendlewitch mentions you can get a vesa mount to replace the stand on the 27" iMac.

Couple this with a tilting wall bracket and you could acheive what you want with any desk.

I'd shy away from a desk with a cutout for the iMac for three reasons:
1. you risk obscuring the vents along the bottom edge
2. The speakers will be pushing the sound into/under the desk
3. you may well obscure access to the usb/audio/video/firewire posts on the rear
Well thought out mrplow.

The down firing speakers are using the desk like rear ports on hi-fi speakers would use the wall.

Also the IR tx would be obscured.

DOCJDH is right though, regarding the working plane, nothing seems to suit the iMac 27' unless you raise your chair to the limit.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
DOCJDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
If your desk is against a wall you can get an adaptor to replace the stand, which will then fit onto a standard adjustable TV wall bracket.

Failing that there is always this:
Thought of using a jigsaw myself to increase the opening size but even the cheaper desks are around $400 so hate to modify it myself and ruin the appearance if I can avoid it.
QUOTE Thanks
DOCJDH

I am not familiar with the term vesa mount. Are these good alternatives for the standard mount that comes with the unit.

BTW, I am an optometrist and can testify how stressful it can be on the visual system for each degree of upgaze starting with the preferred gaze angle of about 15 degrees below the horizon. On any upgaze (above the horizon) the eyeballs actually have to cyclorotate in the orbits to maintain alignment! That is not comfortable.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCJDH View Post
I am not familiar with the term vesa mount. Are these good alternatives for the standard mount that comes with the unit.

BTW, I am an optometrist and can testify how stressful it can be on the visual system for each degree of upgaze starting with the preferred gaze angle of about 15 degrees below the horizon. On any upgaze (above the horizon) the eyeballs actually have to cyclorotate in the orbits to maintain alignment! That is not comfortable.
See this Apple Vesa Mount adapter for imac - YouTube

Also I appreciate what you are saying.
I wear Varifocal lenses !

Edit: In fact just moving around that link there are all manner of adjustable arms available with VESA fixings that you could attach the iMac to.

QUOTE Thanks
DOCJDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
See this Apple Vesa Mount adapter for imac - YouTube

Also I appreciate what you are saying.
I wear Varifocal lenses !

Edit: In fact just moving around that link there are all manner of adjustable arms available with VESA fixings that you could attach the iMac to.
Most people are aware the eyes can point in all directions as a pair, such as on right gaze or upgaze. In addition, they can converge and diverge - convergence is seen when someone looks at a object held a few inches in front of the face (both eyes turn in towards each other), and divergence is seen when the person looks from the near object back to a far object. Cyclorotation is much less well know. The eyeball rotates either clockwise or counterclockwise within the orbit, usually to keep the horizon of each eye level and parallel. Often this cylorotation is needed to offset, or as a correctional rotational movment, to offset rotations created by the muscles as they look in unusual or excessive directions. This is why some drivers like to lean back when they drive to avoid upgaze.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCJDH View Post
Most people are aware the eyes can point in all directions as a pair, such as on right gaze or upgaze. In addition, they can converge and diverge - convergence is seen when someone looks at a object held a few inches in front of the face (both eyes turn in towards each other), and divergence is seen when the person looks from the near object back to a far object. Cyclorotation is much less well know. The eyeball rotates either clockwise or counterclockwise within the orbit, usually to keep the horizon of each eye level and parallel. Often this cylorotation is needed to offset, or as a correctional rotational movment, to offset rotations created by the muscles as they look in unusual or excessive directions. This is why some drivers like to lean back when they drive to avoid upgaze.
Good science DOCJDH.

This may explain why I get lost in the screen sometimes.
I don't think that I've got my viewing distance correctly set up and certainly not the screen height.

I had deliberated whether to wall mount my iMac and am going to explore some of the options available also.

QUOTE Thanks
catstudios

catstudios is on a distinguished road

Realize this is a belated reply (only saw this and joined today) but I had the same problem and my solution (would not work for everybody probably) was to have a carpenter excise an opening from my wooden desk's surface large enough to accommodate the iMac (8.5 in x 28.25 in). I then took the wooden cutout piece and suspended it beneath the opening by the means of metal brackets which I attached to the top of the desk at a depth of 7 in. This brought the bottom of the display below the surface of the desk but still revealed the entire screen. The opening also gives me ample room to tilt the screen itself as needed. Draconian to be sure, but has worked great for the last 3 years. Can provide photo if anyone is interested.
QUOTE Thanks
DOCJDH

Yes, please attach some photos. You can reach me directly at jdhemmig@cox.net
Was it a wooden table or the cheaper pressed wood kind?

Jim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using MagicJack with MacBook OS X 10.6.8 | New To The Mac World! Need Help.... »