New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upload DVD Movie ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dave95sps

dave95sps is on a distinguished road

Hi group,
I am new to the forums. I did a "search" first, but unable to find a direct answer, so thought I would ask.

I presently have an iMac. My question is - can I upload a DVD movie that I own, install it on the iMac, then download same to an iPad ? It seems logical I should be able to do this, as I can upload my CD music to the iTunes library and download same to my iPhone.

When I attempt to upload a DVD movie, the iMac will play it as a full movie. But I can't find any way to "save" the movie to the iMac.

Thank you in advance,
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm not sure how you managed to miss this, but go read it now:

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Movies and Video
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It does make a lot of sense for you to be able to do that, but unfortunately there's an odd quirk of US law (the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) that makes the software you'd need to do this illegal. (Actually doing it for personal use would be legal, but the tools to do so is not. That's US law for you.) This type of software is not needed for CDs, so that is legal for personal use.

This forum's policy is to respect US law, so that's about all we can say about that.
QUOTE Thanks
dave95sps

dave95sps is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your responses. I thought the problem was due to my unsophisticated computer skills. Glad to know the actual reason. Now I can give up on the idea of uploading a movie. Disappointed, but we are all in the same boat.

Best wishes and have a nice Thanksgiving holiday !
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Without wishing to promote anything considered illegal, you can simply drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD disc image to your desktop.
That requires no illegal software, and then you could put it on your iPad. It will play as a DVD from the menu in DVD Player or VLC.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Without wishing to promote anything considered illegal, you can simply drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD disc image to your desktop.
That requires no illegal software, and then you could put it on your iPad. It will play as a DVD from the menu in DVD Player or VLC.
Um, no.

Most commercial movie DVDs have anti-copying technology built into them, so you can't successfully copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the drive, in fact (just tried it with a Harry Potter DVD to be sure; it didn't work). What's more, even if you could copy the VIDEO_TS to the hard drive, an iPad wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with it, as you can't get such a folder into iTunes in the first place. VLC (on your computer) *might* play a successfully copied DVD VIDEO_TS folder, but iTunes doesn't recognize it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Um, no.

Most commercial movie DVDs have anti-copying technology built into them, so you can't successfully copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the drive, in fact (just tried it with a Harry Potter DVD to be sure; it didn't work). What's more, even if you could copy the VIDEO_TS to the hard drive, an iPad wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with it, as you can't get such a folder into iTunes in the first place. VLC (on your computer) *might* play a successfully copied DVD VIDEO_TS folder, but iTunes doesn't recognize it.
I'm going to retry this, it has worked in the past for me. That said, if the iPad does not have the ability to use VLC/DVD Player, then it won't work (don't own an iPad). For sure it won't work in iTunes though.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

There was a VLC for iPad, but it's long since been discontinued and is unavailable. It didn't work all that great quite frankly (struggled with some file formats, at least on an original iPad -- the newer iPad probably has the horsepower but the issue is moot).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme | iWeb good for business website? »