New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Networking iTunes over several iMacs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bennet76

bennet76 is on a distinguished road

I run a video archive, currently on a mac mini server (approx. 2TB external) and would like to connect 5 iMacs to this. The idea is to put the films into the iTunes on the mac mini server, for the iMacs to access, but have no control over adding or deleting. Purely a view only option. Anyone have any ideas on whether this can happen, and if so, how easy is it?

Many thanx
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

You could enable Home Sharing but I'm not sure there is a way to stop them from being able to transfer the files onto the other Macs. The other option I would try is simply enable sharing of movies in iTunes on the network. You can change permissions of the movie file to make only the Mac mini have access to read/write and then the other users read only access. Just go to iTunes Preferences > Sharing > Click the box for share on network and select the folders you want to share. You can even enable password requirement to view the shared folder (which I would recommend) Then make sure that in Get Info for the file you are sharing that permissions are set the way you want. I haven't tried this but it seems like it could work and wouldn't take long to test.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help | keep receiving bogus email messages »