New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Removing Icons from Dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMacnewbee

iMacnewbee is on a distinguished road

I need help in removing icons from the Dock on my new iMac. I've looked in help and it says to drag the icon to any place in the screen and it will disappear. I do that and the icon just bounces back to it's original position on the dock. What am I missing?
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Right click, and then uncheck the "Keep in dock" option.
QUOTE Thanks
iMacnewbee

Sorry to be so dense but if see no "Keep in Dock" option when I right click on any icon.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

Okay, ummm.... I don't have access to my iMac right now...

It could be - Right click > Options > Keep in dock. ?

Does that work?
QUOTE Thanks
iMacnewbee

I found it, thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

No problem! Glad to have been of assistance!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The reason the icons kept bouncing back, btw, was because the programs were still open. You need to learn the Mac way of quitting programs, not closing the "red x". That doesn't (usually) really quit a program.
QUOTE Thanks
zdavidson00

zdavidson00 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 MBP 2.3Ghz Intel dual core i5

The "Mac" way of quitting programs is to hit the red x, and then go to your dock and right click. You will see "quit" as an option, and you can click that. Also, you can click and hold on the icon, then drag it out to the desktop, which will also remove it. This is all on OS X Snow Leopard, so this may be somewhat different on other OS's.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You can close windows or quit programs any way you want. Just being familiar with the consequences of your choice will inform your decision.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdavidson00 View Post
The "Mac" way of quitting programs is to hit the red x, and then go to your dock and right click.
No, this is incorrect (and a lot of extra work). There's no need to click the red "x" at all unless what you want to do is close the WINDOW, not the APPLICATION. There are some exceptions to this (Apple is not always perfectly consistent, to its own shame) but generally a simple command-q (or right-click the icon in the dock, choose "quit" or go to the menubar -> Application menu -> Quit) is all that's required.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ICloud and MS Outlook "The information store could not be opened" | iPhoto 08 »