New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

best storage device for macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

currypata

currypata is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook pro and my computer is getting quite full up with movies both on itunes and in the movies folder...What devioce do you recommend as an external hardrive that works well with macs.Somebody suggested a lacey.Is this pretty seamless with macs ?
QUOTE Thanks
Donkey Hodie

Donkey Hodie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD

Well, I don't know about "best" since I haven't sampled them all but I've got a Netgear Ultra 4 NAS that works very well with both my Mac Pro and PC's.

It's probably not the cheapest out there ($499 at Amazon without disks) but it has a nice web interface, is easily set up and managed and, more importantly, is reliable. I've got mine configured with 4 750 MB drives but you can use drives up to 2 TB in size so it'd have 8 TB total capacity. I've had it for over a year and during that time I had a drive fail. Unplugged it, plugged in a new one (I keep a couple on hand) and it seamlessly recovered and integrated the new drive.

It works with both Time Machine and Windows backup software.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Almost anything is seamless with mac os these days. it all depends on if you want wired or network or portable.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Pick a drive, format it for Mac OS and your done. It makes no difference what brand to be fair, but most reliable in my experience are Hitachi, Toshiba, Iomega and Seagate.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Bosonian

Bosonian is on a distinguished road

Hi,

This is a bad time to buy a hard drive. The floods in Thailand have disabled several factories that produce the drives, so there's a shortage and prices have tripled.

My experience is that all that matters is the warranty on a drive. They all fail eventually and you want that to happen when the drive is still on warranty.

Good luck, Dan S
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Triple is stretching it a bit. I'll go for maybe 20-40%. You can still buy 1TB drives at $100-$120 and 2 TB drives at $130-$150 at newegg. Not cheap, but still inexpensive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosonian View Post
Hi,

They all fail eventually and you want that to happen when the drive is still on warranty.

I don't know, I prefer to be well outside the warranty period when that inevitably occurs

But correct on all points. I don't suspect storage prices will return to their pre-flood points in the next few months.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto help - two questions | how long should battery last »