best storage device for macs
    I have a macbook pro and my computer is getting quite full up with movies both on itunes and in the movies folder...What devioce do you recommend as an external hardrive that works well with macs.Somebody suggested a lacey.Is this pretty seamless with macs ?

2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
    Well, I don't know about "best" since I haven't sampled them all but I've got a Netgear Ultra 4 NAS that works very well with both my Mac Pro and PC's.

It's probably not the cheapest out there ($499 at Amazon without disks) but it has a nice web interface, is easily set up and managed and, more importantly, is reliable. I've got mine configured with 4 750 MB drives but you can use drives up to 2 TB in size so it'd have 8 TB total capacity. I've had it for over a year and during that time I had a drive fail. Unplugged it, plugged in a new one (I keep a couple on hand) and it seamlessly recovered and integrated the new drive.

It works with both Time Machine and Windows backup software.

Las Vegas
    2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
    Almost anything is seamless with mac os these days. it all depends on if you want wired or network or portable.
    Old time Computer Hardware Tech
    Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!

Crawley, England
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Pick a drive, format it for Mac OS and your done. It makes no difference what brand to be fair, but most reliable in my experience are Hitachi, Toshiba, Iomega and Seagate.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Hard drive purchase

This is a bad time to buy a hard drive. The floods in Thailand have disabled several factories that produce the drives, so there's a shortage and prices have tripled.

My experience is that all that matters is the warranty on a drive. They all fail eventually and you want that to happen when the drive is still on warranty.

Good luck, Dan S

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Triple is stretching it a bit. I'll go for maybe 20-40%. You can still buy 1TB drives at $100-$120 and 2 TB drives at $130-$150 at newegg. Not cheap, but still inexpensive.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Tucson, AZ
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosonian View Post

They all fail eventually and you want that to happen when the drive is still on warranty.

I don't know, I prefer to be well outside the warranty period when that inevitably occurs

But correct on all points. I don't suspect storage prices will return to their pre-flood points in the next few months.
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thread Information