New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

the first time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaff

jaff is on a distinguished road

hi boys and girls

i have just got my first macbook 1.1 from a friend and i am loving it but there is a few problems my cd drive doesn't work neither dose my battery and it is full of his old stuff i am told if i want to update to the new operating system i have to put new ram in. i was thinking of doing this myself how hard would it be? and what ram would i need to get?

any advice would be great

cheers

jaff
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You do not yet really own that Macbook if your friend's crap is still all over it.

Back up anything of yours you've added to the machine, then buy a Snow Leopard disc for $30 (and an external DVD drive), ERASE the hard drive completely, then restore your stuff. If you were on Lion before you did this, you can then use the Mac App Store to buy and download Lion.

Then and ONLY then will that machine actually be yours. And yes, you should buy and install additional RAM if needed. It's not generally difficult, varies a bit with the particular model you have.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac beginner - TextEdit and Preview | Password »