New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Snow Leopard or Lion?? your advice!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GREEN Apple

GREEN Apple is on a distinguished road

New 27" imac. came installed with snow leopard. Have the option to upgrade free to lion? Just some advice needed... if you were new to mac which OS should I begin this new journey with?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Lion will continue to be supported as the future of SL will be uncertain and all future
upgrades may require Lion. Don't get me wrong SL works great but at some point iTunes or Safari may introduce a version that may not be compatible with SL .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

You may as well start with Lion. There's not extraordinary differences between them - and you may as well learn the Lion gestures first instead of having to unlearn SL gestures and incorporate the Lion changes. I see no good reason for starting with SL.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

+2 on Lion

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

Zeke_D will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB

-1 on lion. lots of issues especially printing to windows shared printers. I like a lot of features of lion. I hate some things in lion. I run both, especially for PPC compatibility. If you are purchasing everything new, then you should not have any issues with lion.

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
[ 12" iBook 1.33ghz | 1.25gb RAM | Mobility Radeon 9550 | 40gb HDD ]
[ eMac 1ghz | 1gb RAM | Radeon 9200 32mb | 240gb HDD | Airport Extreme ]
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Do yourself a favor and don't get used to Snow Leopard. I love Snow Leopard and only kind of/sort of like Lion. I only boot into Lion for educational purposes for work. I'd have been perfectly happy without Lion, as there's no advantage in running it for me. I'm not a "cloud" person yet, and the little tidbits that make Lion "neat" I can also live without, as Snow Leopard does things just as well.

doug
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Upgrade to Lion while you don't have much to compare to how it "was", then you won't be on here like the rest of us complaining about how it "is" different from Snow Leopard (myself included).

QUOTE Thanks
beamon

beamon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2

I'd go with Lion at the outset because future upgrades may require it. SL was a fine system during the first 5 months of iMac ownership. My use is simple and I had no need for Lion's features but the upgrade was painless and the learning curve not too bad with only 5 months of SL under my belt.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on best way to quickly send clients screenshots... | Mac Mini and networked hard drive help »