newbie Green Apple!!! software thoughts?
    Just bought 27 imac on sale. Never been a computer genius but love this apple so far! much better than any pc i ever used!!!came with snow lep iwork ilife etc. i like too use dual monitors shoud i use chrome or mozilla? or niether till i learn safari ins and outs? being new to apple i have a free upgrade to lion OS should i just start with lion os or learn snow lep then convert? finally need must have software thought from seasoned apples out there!! flip4mac? VLC? etc. thanks love the forum!!!

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    In my essay (link below) I suggest giving Safari a try until you find a reason to switch to something else.

I also don't suggest larding the machine up with a bunch of third-party stuff until you're very comfortable with the Mac way of doing things -- it'll save a lot of time and frustration. But one exception, I do suggest downloading and installing Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) to enable the proper playing of nearly any video format.

VLC is an alternative viewer and a great program, but I'm not sure how "needed" it is by normal users. QuickTime (with the supplements I mentioned) seems to do a fine job on nearly everything, though VLC is darn useful for playing different-region DVD discs and other oddball formats.

If you have the Lion upgrade you should have already upgraded to it. There's absolutely zero reason not to. Be sure to run Software Update after you upgrade so you get the 10.7.2 update.

In Denial
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I absolutely agree with Chas_m about additional software. That was one of the first things that really struck home with me after I made the switch, as to how much software I didn't have to buy.

Preview in particular is a hidden gem (a lot of functionality in an unprepossessing package).
    The only addition I would make is Firefox. I used it for years on my PCs in preference ove IE, and like it. I still use Safari too, but old habits die hard so Firefox is still my browser of choice.

And, lest I forget (talking about Firefox made me think of it); one 3rd party software package I reccommend without reservation is 1Password, from Agile Software. I and many others on this forum would not be without it.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thanks for the advice

Prescott Valley, Arizona
    13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
    If you have not downloaded Lion yet, then when you download it will be 10.7.2.
    [ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
    [ 12" iBook 1.33ghz | 1.25gb RAM | Mobility Radeon 9550 | 40gb HDD ]
    [ eMac 1ghz | 1gb RAM | Radeon 9200 32mb | 240gb HDD | Airport Extreme ]

Thread Information