New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Nas drive backup with time machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mark8par

mark8par is on a distinguished road

I currently have the following setup
Mac mini 2011, synology ds211j nas with 2 x 1.5 tab drives

I am looking to do the following
Transfer all music and movies onto one drive on the nas and access through iTunes. I would then like to setup time machine to backup all on the mac mini and on the first drive onto the second nas drive. I would also setup the first drive with music and movies as an iscsi drive which I believe makes it a virtual drive and the mac should see it as part of the mac.
I am currently in the process of trying this out but it takes nearly a day to setup the drives initially.
QUOTE Thanks
Donkey Hodie

Donkey Hodie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD

I've done most everything you're trying to do (except the iscsi drive part) and it works fine. I've got my music and photos directory on the NAS and play it with songbird (it's encoded in flac so no joy with iTunes) and am using time machine for backups. I've done some restores from the time machine backup just to make sure I could and everything worked fine.

The NAS in question is a ReadyNAS Ultra 4. Oh, and by the way, if you call Apple support with questions about using time machine on a NAS they'll tell you it doesn't work. It works fine as long as the NAS supports AFP.
QUOTE Thanks
mark8par

mark8par is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, so do you also backup what is in you main mac drive and a nas drive to another drive in the nas.
QUOTE Thanks
Donkey Hodie

Donkey Hodie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark8par View Post
Thanks for the reply, so do you also backup what is in you main mac drive and a nas drive to another drive in the nas.
No. The NAS is Raid 5 so if a disk fails I can swap it (I always keep a couple new ones on hand). I back up the main drive with SuperDuper to a USB disk.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I make the screen "Duller"? | sound not working on my imac 10.6.8 between accounts »