New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

something is wrong...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

julpey

julpey is on a distinguished road

so i got this mac from my divorce my husband used to do all the maint. on it and now of course it is giving me problems. sometimes when i stop using it for a period of time....few hours...overnight...most recently after a few minutes it went to sleep and when i go to move the mouse it puts a trail of grey all over the screen...then half of my admin password screen pops up. not all of it though just the upper right corner to the center...it is also grey. i cannot do anything about it but just shut it down with the power button. i cant command Q to shut my window NOTHING. it just continues to put grey all over my screen where ever i move the mouse. dont want to go to the apple store just yet if any of you geniuses out there can help me.

be kind and talk to me like im a small child i beg...i am a complete moron with this stuff...

julpey
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Do you have the install discs for the OS?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
julpey

no i do not. :-(
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by julpey View Post
no i do not. :-(
You didn't say which Macintosh computer you have (which is almost always VERY important when asking a question)...but if it has an Intel cpu...just get yourself a $29 dollar Snow Leopard install disk:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- back up any important files
- boot from the install disk
- wipe the hard drive
- install a fresh copy of 10.6 Snow Leopard

...and you're good to go (assuming there are no hardware issues, and that the problems are software related).

- Nick

p.s. There could be other ways to approach this issue...but considering the whole "husband/divorce" issue (and not knowing how he had the computer setup or how he used the computer)...starting from scratch is best!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
julpey

i have Mac OS X 10.7.2. i might be able to get it thank you .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Ohh...ok...10.7.2 is the latest OS. But the same advice holds. If you're having problems with this computer...and you don't know exactly what programs your ex-husband installed on it or how he used it...it may be best to wipe the hard drive & install a fresh copy of the OS.

Of course backing up any important files first (word processing files, spreadsheet files, videos, music, photos, etc.).

Hopefully you have a copy of OS 10.7 on disk...if not...you will have to download it again from the Mac App Store. If your ex-husband did the install originally...and you don't know his "Mac Store ID"...then you may have to pay $29 again to download it...and "burn" a copy of it to CD/DVD BEFORE doing the fresh install of 10.7.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
You don't need a disc at all. Your system has a Recovery partition that you can use to do a clean install. Remember to backup first, but when you're ready, you can access Recovery options by turning the machine off, turn it back on and immediately press and hold "Command + R". The machine will boot to the recovery options window, where you can use Disk Utility to format the system partition and then opt to do a clean install.

Again, remember to backup first!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having problems with Chase Online | Wont boot »