The big switch over
    So on Thursday I'm off out to buy a mac mini from the apple store.

Just wanting to know from someone who's done it how big a pain it will be to copy over my photos and iTunes library...

Only got an iPad n iPhone never used mac osx before really so will be a noob...

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Bring your PC with you to the Apple Store and they'll transfer all of your stuff for you.

Before you do though, I'd recommend going to your local Apple Store's site to set up a Personal Shopper Appointment. This way, you don't have to contend with the crowds and will get plenty of time to have your questions answered.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Would they do that? It's not the smallest thing .. Fairly big desktop case....

Plus I'm not 100% yet but I may be buying the mini in London and I live in Yorkshire ... Im just in London for 3 days and appl store near where I am staying...

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Murgy91 View Post

Plus I'm not 100% yet but I may be buying the mini in London and I live in Yorkshire ... Im just in London for 3 days and appl store near where I am staying...
    Yep, that's part of the services they offer. You can always call them in advance and ask them about it just to reassure yourself.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

I may consider waiting a week to get it then... How easy is it to do ur self? When I say I'm a noob I mean mac noob... I'm quite literate on a pc with networking, domains and admin stuff...

Specs:
    With an external hard disk, it's fairly simple. Getting the two to see each other over a network can be more complicated depending on your network configuration and security software.

good to know.. Thank you

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Bring your PC with you to the Apple Store and they'll transfer all of your stuff for you.

Before you do though, I'd recommend going to your local Apple Store's site to set up a Personal Shopper Appointment. This way, you don't have to contend with the crowds and will get plenty of time to have your questions answered.
    Personal Shopping is no longer a service offered by the Apple Store. Each store should have enough staff to accommodate people who need help. Use the iPad-based signs in the store to call an employee over to you when you need help.

Also, having an Apple Store transfer data for you is part of the One to One service, which costs $99. It's actually a great value, since you have your stuff moved, and then receive a year's worth of unlimited training.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgy91 View Post

Hey up lad ...if you can wait probably the Apple store at the Trafford Center in Manchester is better placed for you..the service for us there has been excellent in the past and if you have any issues it's not that far for you to go back.

Plan carefully. There are good procedures on the net, but details vary a bit depending on individual setups. Pays to plan the switch. Worked fine for me.

Arrow
    Hello,

I've been following this thread (article), as I too an a relatively new Windows to Apple/Mac owner/user
    I like to coin the phrase: World to the World of Apple/Mac.". (Maybe coin is not the proper wording..?) Anyways...

How does a Windows based program, understand being used on a Mac OS-X operating system platform?

Or, are you making reference to say, for example: MS Office files such as: Documents,
    and such that would (I guess), be able from one platform to another understand, and interpret the data?

Is this what kind of PC to Mac file transfers most people typically are making reference to?

Just wondering?

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice day/evening,

Ed

Thread Information