New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

The big switch over

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murgy91

Murgy91 is on a distinguished road

So on Thursday I'm off out to buy a mac mini from the apple store.

Just wanting to know from someone who's done it how big a pain it will be to copy over my photos and iTunes library...

Only got an iPad n iPhone never used mac osx before really so will be a noob...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Bring your PC with you to the Apple Store and they'll transfer all of your stuff for you.

Before you do though, I'd recommend going to your local Apple Store's site to set up a Personal Shopper Appointment. This way, you don't have to contend with the crowds and will get plenty of time to have your questions answered.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Murgy91

Would they do that? It's not the smallest thing .. Fairly big desktop case....

Plus I'm not 100% yet but I may be buying the mini in London and I live in Yorkshire ... Im just in London for 3 days and appl store near where I am staying...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgy91 View Post

Plus I'm not 100% yet but I may be buying the mini in London and I live in Yorkshire ... Im just in London for 3 days and appl store near where I am staying...
Yep, that's part of the services they offer. You can always call them in advance and ask them about it just to reassure yourself.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Murgy91

I may consider waiting a week to get it then... How easy is it to do ur self? When I say I'm a noob I mean mac noob... I'm quite literate on a pc with networking, domains and admin stuff...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

With an external hard disk, it's fairly simple. Getting the two to see each other over a network can be more complicated depending on your network configuration and security software.
QUOTE Thanks
Murgy91

good to know.. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Bring your PC with you to the Apple Store and they'll transfer all of your stuff for you.

Before you do though, I'd recommend going to your local Apple Store's site to set up a Personal Shopper Appointment. This way, you don't have to contend with the crowds and will get plenty of time to have your questions answered.
Personal Shopping is no longer a service offered by the Apple Store. Each store should have enough staff to accommodate people who need help. Use the iPad-based signs in the store to call an employee over to you when you need help.

Also, having an Apple Store transfer data for you is part of the One to One service, which costs $99. It's actually a great value, since you have your stuff moved, and then receive a year's worth of unlimited training.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgy91 View Post

Hey up lad ...if you can wait probably the Apple store at the Trafford Center in Manchester is better placed for you..the service for us there has been excellent in the past and if you have any issues it's not that far for you to go back.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Plan carefully. There are good procedures on the net, but details vary a bit depending on individual setups. Pays to plan the switch. Worked fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks
ELSELS

ELSELS is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've been following this thread (article), as I too an a relatively new Windows to Apple/Mac owner/user
I like to coin the phrase: World to the World of Apple/Mac.". (Maybe coin is not the proper wording..?) Anyways...

How does a Windows based program, understand being used on a Mac OS-X operating system platform?

Or, are you making reference to say, for example: MS Office files such as: Documents,
and such that would (I guess), be able from one platform to another understand, and interpret the data?

Is this what kind of PC to Mac file transfers most people typically are making reference to?

Just wondering?

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice day/evening,

Ed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac OS 10.4.1 new hard drive | Can't shut down iMac. »