New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time Machine external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

notarichman

notarichman is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to TM an external drive?

My Macbook Pro drive failed and Genius Bar replaced it. I recovered the data drive with DriveGenius (it hadn't failed completely, it had slow writes) such that the original drive is cloned to a brand new drive, presumably suitable for direct replacement in the Macbook Pro. However, I'd rather TM the external drive (step 1) to a third external drive and later let TM overwrite the Genius Bar drive (step 2) in the Macbook. By doing it this way, it saves the trouble of opening the Macbook (and the warranty issue) as well as making the TM backup I should've had in the first place.

Is it possible? If so, how? It appears TM will only save the main internal drive and I see no facility to TM external drives? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Try to read some information in this article: Does Time Machine backup external drives? | One Digital Life

However, I believe that your external drive needs to be formatted as HFS+ (Mac format) in order to be backed up by Time Machine. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what some comments said. That being said, Windows cannot read HFS+ format drives, therefore you'll have to use it only with Mac if so.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photobooth glow effect is stuck on my screen | macpro 2010 mini dp flashes »