Thread: What is the best way to run Windows on Mac?

What is the best way to run Windows on Mac?
    I want to run mostly Mac, but I also want Windows installed because I don't want to purchase all of my commonly used programs all over again...and some of them aren't made for Mac anyways. Any advice?

I'd go for using Bootcamp, it's already installed, easy setup with your Windows disk and doesn't cost you any more.

HTH

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Depends on the programs, if there mainly light office type programs, then running in a VM such as parallels or a free one like virtual box will suffice If you have games or graphic intensive apps then id go with bootcamp.

Best? It's all relative to a given situation.

Perhaps start here to begin the education needed to find what's 'best' for your needs.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

I am a new Mac user of about two months. I am using Fusion to run Windows on my Mac. It works great. I have some programs that are windows only and it runs them fine. I did not try bootcamp because I did not want to reboot as I switch between applications frequently. I have Fusion setup up on one desktop and all my other Mac apps on another. I just press Ctrl and right or left arrow to switch between them it really works slick.

I installed bootcamp and it works fine. I got tired of rebooting though so bought Parallels Desktop and installed it. Everything I've tried thus far (MS Office programs, plus a number of older programs) works great, no problems at all.

Don't mean to confuse you with too many choices but, at least in my experience, this is a choice that works. I'm sure there are others as well.

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded Parallels to try it out, but before I spent $80 on it I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option for cheaper. I've been using it for about a week, and there are some things I like about it and some I don't. The biggest thing is I have a few programs that I don't have an actual disc for...they are things I bought or downloaded off the internet and they won't load because I don't know how to get them to work with Parallels.

I like that Bootcamp is free, but I also don't want to reboot every time I want to switch. It sounds like I might have to use it for my video editing software though, because that is a large involved graphics program.

I'll have to look into Virtual Box since it's free, and Fusion as well and see what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by godlovesyou777 View Post
    I downloaded Parallels to try it out, but before I spent $80 on it I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option for cheaper.
    For what it's worth, Parallels V7 can be had from Amazon for $57.37.

Thread Information