Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Newbie Question
    Hello all
    I have just purchased my first Mac computer and I am loving it. However, not being right into computers, some things are confusing me. I have so many questions to ask as Software is obviously different. The question I would like to ask first though is about media playback. I used Windows media player for everything on my last computer as it did everything from playing movies and music to ripping CDs to my hard drive. I was wondering if there was a similar program for the mac? I have so many movies i would like to watch that are mp4's and wmv,s but they don't seem to want to open in iTunes or Quicktime.

Thank you

Newbie Question
    Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Try getting Perian, a Quicktime plug in, that should solve the majority of playback issues, and then VLC too, as a back up for some others.
    If you don't mind a processor and space heavy option, then PLEX is brilliant, but probably overkill for you at this point to be honest.
    With regard to CD ripping, you should rely on iTunes.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Newbie Question
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Once you convert your old videos into iTunes' format, you'll find the iTunes will act as the media manager on your Mac. The Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian downloads suggested by Kev will help, but iTunes uses a very strict MP4 format for video so a lot of your files will need to be converted. Give Miro Video Converter a try for that.

Newbie Question

Thanks guys. I appreciate you quick replies. I have no doubt I will have more Questions later lol

Thanks again

Newbie Question

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.4ghz i5, 4GB ram, 500GB SATA, OS X Lion 10.7.2 ~ I'm in love!!!
    Can you put any DVD movie into your drive and convert them to mp4 for playback on iPhones and iPods, etc.? We have lots of movies and I just want to upload them to my iPhone to watch when I'm bored, but I don't know how to do it. I don't want to pay $15 to iTunes for a movie that I already own. We can rip our cds to listen to them on our iPhones, so we should be able to convert our dvd movies to watch them on there as well.

Newbie Question
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by godlovesyou777 View Post
    Can you put any DVD movie into your drive and convert them to mp4 for playback on iPhones and iPods, etc.? We have lots of movies and I just want to upload them to my iPhone to watch when I'm bored, but I don't know how to do it. I don't want to pay $15 to iTunes for a movie that I already own. We can rip our cds to listen to them on our iPhones, so we should be able to convert our dvd movies to watch them on there as well.
    Before you do anything, I suggest you read our Sticky Notice about DVD ripping of movies.

Thread Information