New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sending e-mail out of home Cox area-server issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ron Rizza

Ron Rizza is on a distinguished road

With my MacBook, every time I travel I cannot Send e-mails through my normal SoCal cox account. It is always looking for my home outgoing server smtp.west.cox.net. Getting on the internet and incoming e-mail are no problem. Right now I am at a hotel on a DSL connection. I tried deleting the outgoing server name from Mail and that just removed even trying to Send an e-mail.

What do I have to tell it (Leopard OS) for the outgoing server?

Ron
QUOTE Thanks
bvawter

bvawter is on a distinguished road

Ron, I have smtp.east.cox.net account and had the same problem, even before switching from PC to Mac. It's not a Mac thing, it's a server thing. The solution I found was an annual subscription to authsmtp.com. It's $24.00 a year, and enables you to send email from anywhere. There are a couple of settings you have to change in your email accounts, but it works great for me.

A note of caution, though: the $24 annual subscription has limits on # and MB size of messages. Therefore, I ONLY use authsmtp when I'm traveling. When I'm home, I switch everything back to my smtp.east.cox.net.

I hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
Ron Rizza

Ron Rizza is on a distinguished road

bvawter - Thanks for responding. Last night I realized there is an easy solution. I ask at the Hotel who is their ISP, then I went online to that company (here in Lake Tahoe it is Charter Communications) and was able to find the server name I needed. Plug that in to the last preference field under Mail and.....voila....it works. Good luck in your travels. Ron
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Much MUCH easier solution to this problem: use your ISP's webmail portal while traveling. No reconfigurations required.

Better still, join the 21st century and get an IMAP account (GMail if you like ads, iCloud if you don't, both free).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro | F12 key function is different »