New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hello everyone, only one question so far...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Smelly Llama

Smelly Llama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27", i5, 6Gb, 1TB, Ati512mb

How do chaps and chappette's!

I have been working with PC's for about 5 years and using them from back in the 386 days. I have just started a new job and have a lovely 27"iMac on my desk which (I never thought I'd say) is a genuine treat to use. So far I only have one thing I haven't been able to work out;

I am using CAD and a colleague checks the files for me and visa versa, what I'd like to do is mail a shortcut to a file on our server/network share.

I have done some searches on the webbernets and not really found anything useful.

Over to you!

Just started using Mac at my new job after 20 years of PC. It's surprisingly painless and enjoyable
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hello there,
In Mac you can create an 'Alias' for the file in question, it is a dynamic link and will access the file wherever that file is moved to.
Right click the folder and 'Make Alias', it's a bit like a shortcut but will always reference the original file.
If your colleague is operating OSX then he/she can make an alias and drag it onto their desktop or into the Finder window sidebar for example.
It might not be possible if your colleague is not on OSX though..I've never tried it.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Smelly Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Hello there,
In Mac you can create an 'Alias' for the file in question, it is a dynamic link and will access the file wherever that file is moved to.
Right click the folder and 'Make Alias', it's a bit like a shortcut but will always reference the original file.
If your colleague is operating OSX then he/she can make an alias and drag it onto their desktop or into the Finder window sidebar for example.
It might not be possible if your colleague is not on OSX though..I've never tried it.
Thank you Pendlewitch, I have seen that you can make alias' for files. Then I tried to put the alias into a mail but it just puts the file in instead of the alias.

While typing this I have had an idea that may work, there is that cool air-drop thing. I will see if I can do it that way.

Just started using Mac at my new job after 20 years of PC. It's surprisingly painless and enjoyable
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

No problem SL.
Yep, should be in your colleague's Public Folder.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
Smelly Llama

Quote:
No problem SL.
Yep, should be in your colleague's Public Folder.
It kinda works, but we really need to be mailing the links back and forward to see where we are with the projects.

I've read that you can type a link to a folder, would take way to long but some say it works. file://server/blah/blah.

Not got that to work yet tho

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelly Llama View Post
It kinda works, but we really need to be mailing the links back and forward to see where we are with the projects.

I've read that you can type a link to a folder, would take way to long but some say it works. file://server/blah/blah.

Not got that to work yet tho
Try dragging the file into an empty Safari window and copy paste the resultant URL from the address bar into your Mail.

QUOTE Thanks
Smelly Llama

Quote:
Try dragging the file into an empty Safari window and copy paste the resultant URL from the address bar into your Mail.
I like it!

This works well with pictures and pdf's, that I've tried so far. But the files we are sharing are for CAD and as such fail to open or even report a url in the address bar. They do flash up with an address for a second or two tho before disappearing.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Ok so far. Just making a cup of tea for thinking time!

QUOTE Thanks
Smelly Llama

Quote:
Ok so far. Just making a cup of tea for thinking time!
OK, just tried to send a link for a pdf. The link works fine on mine but not on my colleagues mac if he tries to open the file.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Have you looked at the Automator application on your Mac yet?

I'm only just discovering it and have created a couple of simple applications so far, for example I made a Safari workflow that when I click on the icon it launches Safari and opens 4 favourite URL's in separate tabs within the pane simultaneously.

I was trying to work out what we could do and I found this link which if anything will give you an insight into this wonderful app. The articles a bit old but the content looks relevant.

Email Attachments with Automator | Tips | The Mac Observer

You could quickly send the CAD file as a zip this way or you could automate an email notification or possibly create a workflow that would email any new aliases to your colleague. Just thinking aloud really.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Right click the file > Get Info > General > Where. Copy that location to your email.

One thing you need to note is the ways in which different operating systems represent network locations. For instance, if the share is a SMB share (Windows share) at 192.168.1.1, the location string is as follows:

Windows: \\192.168.1.1.
Unix (OS X and Linux for example): smb://192.168.1.1.

As such, if you're colleague is using Windows, you'll need to be aware of this. What OS is your colleague using? Do you know what type of shared folder it is?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Smelly Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Right click the file > Get Info > General > Where. Copy that location to your email.

One thing you need to note is the ways in which different operating systems represent network locations. For instance, if the share is a SMB share (Windows share) at 192.168.1.1, the location string is as follows:

Windows: \\192.168.1.1.
Unix (OS X and Linux for example): smb://192.168.1.1.

As such, if you're colleague is using Windows, you'll need to be aware of this. What OS is your colleague using? Do you know what type of shared folder it is?
Hi there Vansmith, I found this info page earlier and tried to send one but I don't think i made it a link.

I have just sent one now and we will see if that get's it!

We are both using Mac OS, how ever our CAD is running in a vmware version of windows 7. It will open files in the vmware straight from the email if we send the files directly but we don't want to have to copy them from the folders and clutter up the mail server with tons of files.

thanks

QUOTE Thanks
Smelly Llama

Thank you Vansmith, this seems to be a suitable work around. When I send the link and my colleague clicks the link it opens the folder of the file, he can then open it from there without having to run the rabbit warren of folders!

Cheers to both of you

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hi all! brand new mac owner with a few newb questions | How do I save images? Like in Safari or Preview mode? »