New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

hi all! brand new mac owner with a few newb questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newports01

newports01 is on a distinguished road

so after many many years of using pc's i have purchased my first imac... (2011 21.5 inch 2.7ghz). since i figured i will be using this one as long as i possibly could i opted for the faster unit. anyways i have a couple questions. these may seem ignorant to most mac users but ill take that now i am under the impression that external hardrives have to be formated differently for a mac than a pc am i correct? and for this to happen i will need to wipe the drive? this of course is not what i want to do since all of my media is on a 1tb hardrive formally connected to my old PC. so my main question is: since i have already installed bootcamp windows 7(i know typical first timer) i was wondering if i could boot into windows, attach the the hardrive and move everything that i needed to keep over before i wipe and format for mac. can i do this? also can i write to my mac partition while on my bootcamp windows partition? if so this would be a breeze to select what i need to keep and what i dont. thank you so much for your feedback!
QUOTE Thanks
iOSTom

iOSTom is on a distinguished road

A little handy application you might be able to utilize is called 'Wine' or 'Wine Boxer' basically it turns windows app's into mac app's. You may find some use for it, otherwise I can't really help you since I've never used an EHD.
QUOTE Thanks
newports01

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSTom View Post
A little handy application you might be able to utilize is called 'Wine' or 'Wine Boxer' basically it turns windows app's into mac app's. You may find some use for it, otherwise I can't really help you since I've never used an EHD.
thanks i will look into that.. but im not to worried about my apps, more or less my 200 gig cd collection and 500 gig movies collection
QUOTE Thanks
iOSTom

iOSTom is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that if your music is in a .MP3 format, and your movies in a recognised mac format, it shouldn't be a problem? Since movie and music files are pretty universal.
QUOTE Thanks
newports01

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSTom View Post
I'm pretty sure that if your music is in a .MP3 format, and your movies in a recognised mac format, it shouldn't be a problem? Since movie and music files are pretty universal.
true, but its the hardrive format that im worried about. i will wipe it and it will be mac only, but i need to figure out how to either format it or move files over, then format and move back
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Your hard drive will be formatted as FAT or NTFS. Macs can read both, but to write to NTFS requires some extra software.

Have you tried plugging your drive into your Mac yet?
QUOTE Thanks
newports01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Your hard drive will be formatted as FAT or NTFS. Macs can read both, but to write to NTFS requires some extra software.

Have you tried plugging your drive into your Mac yet?
just did, thanks for the input. copying all the files i needed to keep to the mac hardrive and then gonna format. i was scared to plug it up and mess up the format of the drive, but i see thats not the case. MAC is starting to grow on me
QUOTE Thanks
newports01

uhm. thanks for pointing that out i guess
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Safari | Hello everyone, only one question so far... »