New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy online or at local Apple Store?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zooey74

I've decided to buy a 15" PB. I know through the online apple store I can customize it, add RAM, get the 7200 hard drive. . .is this also something that I can have done at the brick and mortar apple store? Or do they only sell the basic models and not do any customizations there?

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to buying from either place?
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

They do customizations at your local Apple Store, BUT, most of the time, when you go there, they just go on the Apple Store themselves FOR YOU, unless they happen to have the exact model you want in the store. It's really just for customer service that you order at the Apple Store. It's for if you need help, or if you want a really common, popular model that they'd have on hand. Otherwise, it's exactly the same.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob

If you are new to Mac or computers in general, go in store.
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooey74
I've decided to buy a 15" PB. I know through the online apple store I can customize it, add RAM, get the 7200 hard drive. . .is this also something that I can have done at the brick and mortar apple store? Or do they only sell the basic models and not do any customizations there?

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to buying from either place?
I strongly suggest that you at least pick up your new unit at the Apple Store, whether you take it directly from their stock or order it online. The reason is that once it comes in, you can demand to open it and try it out in the store so that any immediately obvious issues (like a dead pixel or a freezing trackpad) will become apparent.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

long story short: dont upgrade your ram from apple in any way. go to crucial or newegg and order it from them and then install it yourself. you will save a bunch of money.

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Ameen

The store is easier, as you know exactly what you're getting and they have free shipping
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Always asking me to shutdown. >:/ | Should I wait for new powerbooks »