New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

4 better than 6?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

protohere

protohere is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 3.1 (T7500) OSX 6.8 2.2Ghz 2.5GB 128gb SSD

Got a T7500 and loaded it up with 128gb ssd and 6gb ram. played with it for couple of weeks then it died. brought it to genius, hoping it was just the battery. he says its the ram. replace the 4gb chip with a 2gb.

What?!?!? internet says it can take 6?
Yeah but won't work... Actually makes it slower, looking for stuff...

thinking of what could've been
2gb lost...

oh well, what do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Which Mac are you using? The only reference to a T7500 I can find is the late 2007 MacBook which can indeed use 6GB of RAM but is only spec'd by Apple to take 4GB.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
protohere

Black Macbook 2.2Ghz 160gb drive and 1 gb ram
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohere View Post
Got a T7500 and loaded it up with 128gb ssd and 6gb ram. played with it for couple of weeks then it died.
Yeah...need to know exactly what model you have. "T7500" really isn't any sort of nomenclature that is usually used when referring to Mac computer models.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
protohere

anything i can do to keep the memory? what are the practical consequences of missing 2gb?
QUOTE Thanks
protohere

its a 1181(?)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohere View Post
Black Macbook 2.2Ghz 160gb drive and 1 gb ram
Thanks for the info.

Yes...this model is supposed to be able to be upgraded to 6gig of ram.

It is always possible that one of those sticks of ram died. Since you've only had it a couple weeks...I'm guessing you don't know much about this computer before that.

The ram may not be fully mac compatible either. Maybe you just need some new ram.

- Nick

p.s. This is a long shot...have you tried removing the ram & reseating it?

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
protohere

how much better is 2x2gb compared to 1x4gb?
QUOTE Thanks
protohere

it was working at the apple store but now that i've switched the 4gb chip with the old 512, it would not turn on. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGHHHHHH

oops, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If the application does not use interleaving then more ram will be better if it does then matched will give a better performance score.
QUOTE Thanks
protohere

Ok, maybe battery got discharged during this whole time. plugged it in and it worked...
so, no way I can use all 6gb? Will I be overworking/taxing the system if I keep 6gb in?
that's what he said... I guess it would be safer....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

It will be fine with 6gig...as long as all 6 gig is working. If one of the ram sticks is bad...then remove it.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Might I ask why you're working so hard to have 6GB of RAM? Is there any particular reason that you need so much? I'd say that at least 98% of users don't need that much. In fact, 4GB is more than enough for a significant majority of computer users.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Might I ask why you're working so hard to have 6GB of RAM? Is there any particular reason that you need so much? I'd say that at least 98% of users don't need that much. In fact, 4GB is more than enough for a significant majority of computer users.
And I'm "squeaking" by with just 2gig!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
protohere

ram is hardly the most expensive part of macbooks. might as well maximize, right? Well, as long as it does not cause problems.

after economic downturn, cannot afford newer macs, so got an old one and hot rodded it as much as i can.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2010 mac bok pro | Small Sheep »