New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Magic Mouse with Lion? Should I have gotten a trackpad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DaGrandMastah

DaGrandMastah is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4

Hey all, just ordered a new imac (still hasn't arrived, can't wait) and opted for the magic mouse. I was unaware of all the multi-touch gesturing that lion has....that being said, I come from a windows background and am extremely used to a mouse (no matter how precise it is)....even my laptop had a mouse connected when I had it plugged in....I could never get used to the trackpad on it.

That being said, the magic trackpad seems to be very different and I'm starting to second guess my decision.

How does the magic mouse interact with lion? Should i have gone with a trackpad?
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
Hey all, just ordered a new imac (still hasn't arrived, can't wait) and opted for the magic mouse. I was unaware of all the multi-touch gesturing that lion has....that being said, I come from a windows background and am extremely used to a mouse (no matter how precise it is)....even my laptop had a mouse connected when I had it plugged in....I could never get used to the trackpad on it.

That being said, the magic trackpad seems to be very different and I'm starting to second guess my decision.

How does the magic mouse interact with lion? Should i have gone with a trackpad?
I got my first mac a few months ago, also coming from a Windows background. I got the magic mouse, because to me it was more similar to Windows than the trackpad. My advice is, start with the magic mouse, get to know mac and then get the trackpad. It takes some getting used to, but after you know more about it and the gestures, you may enjoy the trackpad a little more.

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I'm a firm believer in both - but I primarily use the trackpad. Yes - you definitely will want one so you can take full advantage of all of Lions gestures.
QUOTE Thanks
DaGrandMastah

Mac Specs: 21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticxxlove View Post
I got my first mac a few months ago, also coming from a Windows background. I got the magic mouse, because to me it was more similar to Windows than the trackpad. My advice is, start with the magic mouse, get to know mac and then get the trackpad. It takes some getting used to, but after you know more about it and the gestures, you may enjoy the trackpad a little more.
Thanks man. This is what I needed to hear. I'm learning the OS X from scratch after spending the past 20 years with windows.

My biggest fear with the trackpad is drag and drop. I do a TON of that when moving files from one folder to another and that will continue.

My friend has a trackpad. I'll check it out and see how I like it. If I do I may just have my fiance buy me the trackpad for the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I'm a firm believer in both - but I primarily use the trackpad. Yes - you definitely will want one so you can take full advantage of all of Lions gestures.
Thanks. My friend said the same thing but I agree with Aesthetic that it might be better for me to get used to the mouse first while I acclimate myself to teh os x. I do ultimately see myself getting the trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

My iMac came with the Magic Mouse, but the guy in the shop threw the Trackpad in for nothing...

It's safe to say, the mouse hasn't even come out of it's cage since it came home. The Trackpad is fantastic.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:

Thanks. My friend said the same thing but I agree with Aesthetic that it might be better for me to get used to the mouse first while I acclimate myself to teh os x. I do ultimately see myself getting the trackpad.
Certainly your choice - but I think you'll find the trackpad very intuitive after just a couple of days - or maybe hours. It's great actually.

I primarily only switch to the mouse if I'm making a large area selection repeatedly - say in excel or something like that - and even then - I'm usually doing it on the trackpad out of habit before my fingers get tired and I switch to the mouse. Part of OS X is the gesture interaction - my suggestion would be to dive in - you'll adjust very quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you are concerned if the Magic Mouse will work, it works just fine. I have one here on the iMac. Lion has a couple more Gestures in fact for the Magic Mouse. That being said, the Trackpad is superb in Lion.

I would agree with the above advice. Use it with the MM at first and get used to it and maybe get an Apple Trackpad down the line. I also tend to use the Trackpad 95% of the time now that I am used to it.

I mostly use the mouse in Games and some graphic work. Otherwise Trackpad all the way.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't have the MM, but use a mouse extensively on my Windows box at work. And, I was originally concerned about drag and drop with the Magic Trackpad, but five minutes with it and that disappeared. If I could, I would have one at work.
Have not willingly touched a mouse since.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can also install MagicPrefs which will allow you to add some gestures to your MM. For instance, I can now two finger swipe down to open Dashboard and two finger swipe up to open Mission Control.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Would be interesting to turn this thread into a poll.

I'm also using the trackpad all the way. Got both with my iMac, but rarely touch the MagicMouse at all...

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would use the magic trackpad 100% of the time if it were not for a very few things like some games I like. On one game in particular GTA Vice City, I can not even use a Magic mouse or even Mighty Mouse as you have to hold the RIGHT button down to AIM certain weapons then fire with the left. For that I have a Logitech MX900 BT mouse that works great with those games.

Other than that and some drawing that I do better with a mouse, it's the trackpad all the way.

A poll might be interesting.
QUOTE Thanks
DaGrandMastah

Yeah by all means turn it into a poll if anyone has that capability. I tried but it won't let me change it. I believe we'll need a moderator to make that change.

My friend also likes the trackpad so I guess that's another vote for the pad.

I already ordered the mac with the mouse and it's in the "preparing for shipment" phase. I'm undecided but leaning twoards keeping the mouse for the meantime. That being said, I'll test out of the trackpad this Friday before I even have my computer and, if I find it really intuitive, I might consider switching right off the bat.

Could I still change it at a mac store if I decided to go that route?

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. This has easily been one fo the most useful forums I've ever been a part of. Everyone has been extremely helpful which will undoubtedly make my move from PC to Mac even easier.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Yeah by all means turn it into a poll if anyone has that capability. I tried but it won't let me change it. I believe we'll need a moderator to make that change.
As requested.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Certainly your choice - but I think you'll find the trackpad very intuitive after just a couple of days - or maybe hours. It's great actually.

I primarily only switch to the mouse if I'm making a large area selection repeatedly - say in excel or something like that - and even then - I'm usually doing it on the trackpad out of habit before my fingers get tired and I switch to the mouse. Part of OS X is the gesture interaction - my suggestion would be to dive in - you'll adjust very quickly.
Out of curiosity, how is it that your fingers get tired? Are you aware of the single finger double tap and drag gesture in Lion? It's hidden away in "Universal Access">mouse and trackpad>trackpad>dragging (with or without draglock).

This enables you to do two things: You can now disable three finger window drag and use the single finger double tap to drag instead. Why would one want to do this? Because now you can use the three finger gesture for something else. You'd now go to the rightmost tab in trackpad preferences, and set swipe pages to use two or three fingers. Or you could just use the three finger option. Now you can navigate back and forth in the OS universally.

For instance, since you're in System Preferences… already, you can use three fingers to swipe back instead of moving the cursor to the arrows. Same applies to Finder windows when navigating between hierarchies etc...

Doug

Edit: I forgot to add that when you enable single finger double tap drag, you can now select files/folders in one single sweep. It also enables you to move app windows to different virtual desktops when you're in Mission Control. Something you can't do with the three finger drag method. Just another way to do something.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Absolutely yes. The trackpad is fantastic but sometimes you need to be a little bit more direct and precise so I have both in use with the mouse as a backstop occasionally for when touchy-feely is inappropriate.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Losing wi fi connection | Synching with Ical and iCloud »