New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Software to create resumes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JustinM

JustinM is on a distinguished road

Besides wanting to make visually pleasing resumes, what I'm REALLY looking for is software for my Mac that will save Word documents that will WORK when they go through a prospective company's resume screening software.

I currently have iWork, but I'm worried that the resume doesn't look the same on a PC as it does on a Mac (and obviously most company's will have PC's so I NEED to have the resume look the same on both Mac / PC)

Is Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac the answer? What about going all the way and creating a dual boot system and just shelling out the money for both Windows & Microsoft Office for PC? (I'd prefer the cheapest option if possible, but it needs to work!)

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Save the resume as a PDF. Problem sovled.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
JustinM

JustinM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Save the resume as a PDF. Problem sovled.
And if they put the resume through screening software which is not compatible with PDF's are you just SOL?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
And if they put the resume through screening software which is not compatible with PDF's are you just SOL?
No because you can save the resume to doc or docx files if you need to.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

One bit of advise - I find that resumes created in Word on the PC don't always look exactly the same on a Mac, and visa versa. The page spacing can sometimes be off, leading to odd looking pages. I find this most with the Mac->PC approach. Clearly I do my resume on a Mac! When I check it on my old PC (keep one around because you just have to have one now and then) it sometimes looks badly. SO... CrimsonRequiem has the right answer, and it is what I do - save it to PDF. This keeps the formating consistent no matter what platform you are on.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I keep two versions of my resume: one I typeset all sexy-like in LaTeX to be viewed and printed as a PDF, and one in MS Word format for those silly resume filters on online applications. Going for complete visual compatibility with MS Word documents is kind of a crapshoot even between different versions of MS Office on the same platform, but using the latest available version to create them is usually your best bet if you're relying on that.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

You know you can export a word document from Pages into a Word format right? I did this with my resume recently and, when I met with the company for an interview, it looked the same as how it looked on my Mac in Pages. Take note that it was not just block text. I do have special formatting and characters in it and they all came out of his printer through Word just as it looked in Pages. Good luck!

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
todd23

todd23 is on a distinguished road

I ran into the same issue, I had created a resume in Word on my Mac, but it looked terrible in Word for the PC. Ultimately, I ended up recreating the resume on Word on my roomate's PC. I used the Word document when companies specifically asked for it in a .doc format. Otherwise, I always send the PDF.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless sync | Please help...start up issues? »