Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Software to create resumes (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/253529-software-create-resumes.html)

JustinM 10-14-2011 10:44 AM

Software to create resumes

Besides wanting to make visually pleasing resumes, what I'm REALLY looking for is software for my Mac that will save Word documents that will WORK when they go through a prospective company's resume screening software.

I currently have iWork, but I'm worried that the resume doesn't look the same on a PC as it does on a Mac (and obviously most company's will have PC's so I NEED to have the resume look the same on both Mac / PC)

Is Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac the answer? What about going all the way and creating a dual boot system and just shelling out the money for both Windows & Microsoft Office for PC? (I'd prefer the cheapest option if possible, but it needs to work!)

Thanks in advance!

CrimsonRequiem 10-14-2011 12:04 PM

Save the resume as a PDF. Problem sovled.

JustinM 10-14-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem (Post 1310085)
Save the resume as a PDF. Problem sovled.

And if they put the resume through screening software which is not compatible with PDF's are you just SOL?

CrimsonRequiem 10-14-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinM (Post 1310086)
And if they put the resume through screening software which is not compatible with PDF's are you just SOL?

No because you can save the resume to doc or docx files if you need to.

mac57 10-14-2011 03:14 PM

One bit of advise - I find that resumes created in Word on the PC don't always look exactly the same on a Mac, and visa versa. The page spacing can sometimes be off, leading to odd looking pages. I find this most with the Mac->PC approach. Clearly I do my resume on a Mac! When I check it on my old PC (keep one around because you just have to have one now and then) it sometimes looks badly. SO... CrimsonRequiem has the right answer, and it is what I do - save it to PDF. This keeps the formating consistent no matter what platform you are on.

Discerptor 10-14-2011 04:06 PM

I keep two versions of my resume: one I typeset all sexy-like in LaTeX to be viewed and printed as a PDF, and one in MS Word format for those silly resume filters on online applications. Going for complete visual compatibility with MS Word documents is kind of a crapshoot even between different versions of MS Office on the same platform, but using the latest available version to create them is usually your best bet if you're relying on that.

ImageX 10-14-2011 04:10 PM

You know you can export a word document from Pages into a Word format right? I did this with my resume recently and, when I met with the company for an interview, it looked the same as how it looked on my Mac in Pages. Take note that it was not just block text. I do have special formatting and characters in it and they all came out of his printer through Word just as it looked in Pages. Good luck!

- ImageX

todd23 10-17-2011 12:33 AM

I ran into the same issue, I had created a resume in Word on my Mac, but it looked terrible in Word for the PC. Ultimately, I ended up recreating the resume on Word on my roomate's PC. I used the Word document when companies specifically asked for it in a .doc format. Otherwise, I always send the PDF.