New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Office vs Windows 7+ PC Office

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ds650

ds650 is on a distinguished road

Ok. First post.....

So I've had my Macbook Pro about 45 days now. For the most part so far so good. Certainly not the be all end all machine Apple fan boys claim but I'm happy enough.

I also own an HP Envy. With that Envy I have through school a discounted version of Microsoft Office 2010. (the highest end version). However the Envy I may sell, not sure.

I downloaded Pages on my Mac and also did the free 30 day trial Office for Mac 2011. Though both are OK, neither are has good as Office 2010 for Windows.

So here's my question(s).

Should I buy Office for Mac 2011 or should I buy through school Windows7 and install it on my Mac and then use Windows7 to install Office 2010 for pc on my Mac?

They also are advertising parallels for Mac for $39 on my schools site. However the one Apple salesman advised running both platforms at the same time isn't advised.

Any advice would help.
Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What about the Mac version do you not like? It doesn't seem worth installing Windows just to use Office 2010. Perhaps we can help you find what you need in the Mac version.

This isn't a judgment - I'm more confused than anything.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

The one big feature for me that's missing from 2011 is Outlooks inability to sync with google cal. Totally useless without this feature, for alot of others though it probably wont matter.

Other than that 2011 aint too shabby.
QUOTE Thanks
ds650

It's missing Access for one. I needed it for one class, not sure if I ever will again as it is a weird program. Learned it years ago at work. Plus the tabs aren't as nice. Office for Mac is OK, but its like only getting 75% of the windows version. So I guess I'm like thinking since I already have the windows version should I buy windows instead and have that also?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Well, Access only comes with the more expensive versions of Office for Windows. I have Office 2010 and it's not included in my copy. I have had no need for a programmable data base app since my days with DBase. (Long ago.)

There are some differences between Office 2010 and Office 2011 and since I have both, I have to give the edge to Office 2010. Anyway, if you have an enhanced copy of Office 2010 and don't mind installing Windows either with Boot Camp or with VM software, go ahead and do it.
QUOTE Thanks
tfox2k1

tfox2k1 is on a distinguished road

I've used both have real problems switching to Office on the Mac. Stick with Office 2010 for Windows and bootcamp.
QUOTE Thanks
ds650

I wouldn't say I have problems using it, it just isn't "as" good.

How reliable is windows7 thru bootcamp? How much of a hassle is it to download onto a Mac or is it easier to buy the cd? Do I run bootcamp first & install some type of drivers?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Your choice. If you download Windows 7 from the MS on line store, you'll need a PC to run the executable to get an ISO which must be burned to a DVD. They also send you a backup disk in the mail.

It's best to buy an OEM system builders full version from Amazon. Currently $91.98 for the 64 bit version. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have Office 2010 on my Win7 Bootcamp and Office 2011 for Mac in OSX. Honestly, the full version of 2011 for Mac was a better buy overall than 2010 on Win7. I use Outlook on my Mac through an Exchange server, so I dont worry about connecting and syncing through Gmail.

You may be able to connect to Gmail as an Exchange Server, like on the iPad.

I dont have my MBP in front of me, so I cant test.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
ajcgn

ajcgn is on a distinguished road

I use the mac version of office, but there are a lot of other programs or bits of hardware that seem to come only in Windows versions, so you may want to be able to run Windows anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazanders View Post
The one big feature for me that's missing from 2011 is Outlooks inability to sync with google cal. Totally useless without this feature, for alot of others though it probably wont matter.
Outlook 2010 can't natively do this either. Google happily sells the ability to do it with business Google Apps accounts.

Outlook 2011 can't even do Hotmail sync, which they do have a free connector to do with 2010.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
Outlook 2011 can't even do Hotmail sync, which they do have a free connector to do with 2010.
You can do it through mBoxMail for Mac:

Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

I use it on mine and it's worked very well. Essentially a 3rd party version of the Outlook Connector. It's been updated for Lion and has been very usefull. Yes, there is a registration fee, but since I use Hotmail as my primary account, it was worth it.

-MikeM
QUOTE Thanks
ds650

It's best to buy an OEM system builders full version from Amazon. Currently $91.98 for the 64 bit version. LINK

I'm no computer geek, what would that have that a download thru my school ($58) would not? I do have a PC also. So can I download the Windows7 to my HP, then burn the files to a CD to install on my MBP?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If the download copy from your school is the full version, then it's certainly best to do that instead of buying from Amazon. And yes, you can download Win 7 to your PC, burn it to a DVD and use to install on your MBP. But again, you must use the full install version not an upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
Outlook 2010 can't natively do this either. Google happily sells the ability to do it with business Google Apps accounts.

Actually there is a free sync tool, to sync 2010 to google, you don't pay for this feature
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Font problem in Preview | Thunderbolt problem »