New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Activity "youtube download" downloads?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DiamondZlasT

DiamondZlasT will become famous soon enough

Hey everybody, first off im new to this forums. pretty excited to have joined.

Anyways, to cut to the chase.

The past couple of days I've been trying to find a way to have some type of Youtube Downloader for the Mac.

But i Heard you can download through the Safari Browser, by going to a youtube video. then clicking on the windows tab, then selecting on Activity. and double clicking on the active download (eg: 1.2 of 12mb) link. (i use Google Chrome).

So i went ahead and went on youtube (on Safari), then did that....

After doing so, all it did was open up the video link in a new video playback window??

but my brothers macbook pro does otherwise and downloads right away with the downloads window...

what is my macbook pro doing, or what do i need to make sure i have or plug-in, software or NOT have in order to download through the Activity on Safari just like my brothers...

*btw, he has the core 2 duo, & i have the new i7. we both have 13'', snow leopards, same safari versions.* if thats any help..

PLEASE HELP...kudos..

diamondzlast
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Moved your post here to the "Switcher" forum since you're new to the forums. Also you'll likely get more replies here.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I can't say why his is behaving differently, but there's an extension available for Safari called Fastest Tube that adds a download button right to the YouTube page ... can't get any easier than that, and it costs nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
DiamondZlasT

thx..me and my brother actually found that and i have it downloaded.

but im still trying to figure out how to download youtube vids or links through the Activity's window?

bump pls.
QUOTE Thanks
DiamondZlasT

Thanks chscag
QUOTE Thanks
DiamondZlasT

please...help..*mila jovavich off Fifth Element*
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since Safari 5.1, that Activity window download does that. Not sure it they broke it by accident or deliberately, but it's broke. Every Mac with Safari 5.1 here whether Snow Leopard or Lion has done that since the day the new Safari installed.

I would suggest what Chas recommended or use Firefox with Download Helper.

Edit: I just tried Fastest Tube that Chas recommended and it's GREAT. Highly recommended.
QUOTE Thanks
DiamondZlasT

I downloaded the Fastest Tube. and it does work great. but thank you for clarifying about the Activity window.

BUT my brother also has Safari 5.1 and his is still able to download.

Mine just opens a video playback window of the video.

but i guess ill just stick w the Fastest Tube which works and does exactly what i needed the Activity download for.

Thanks everybody.

diamondzlast
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is your brother running 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion? Are you running Lion?

Also the Activity window does not let you choose the quality like fastest tube does.
QUOTE Thanks
DiamondZlasT

Not quite sure, I'll have to find out and get back soon.

All I know is that he has the previous Macbook Pro 13" Core 2 Duo Model..

The one before the new i7 Macbook Pros (which i have).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Yours is 10.7 Lion correct? I have a dual boot setup here. I will boot into 10.6 SL and see if Safari 5.1 does the same thing there.
QUOTE Thanks
DiamondZlasT

No i havent switched to Lion...yet. I have Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50) as of right now.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I just booted in to my Fully Updated Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1 and the activity window does the same thing as in Lion. Brings up the video in another window with a player.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

I have no issues with downloading from YT in Safari 5.1 on both SL & now Lion. All I do is highlight / select the MB download file I want, then hold down the (fn) key and double click trackpad done.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Funny as that does not work here on 3 different macs in SL and 2 with Lion all with Safari 5.1. Are your OS's totally updated? I have read it all over the net with people complaining about this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« total newbie - where to store folders | how to sync/add hotmail to mac email program »