New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacMini won't boot, stuck on the Apple logo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thezed

thezed is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I suddenly had an issue with my Mac Mini. It started to take long seconds, even minutes, to load a software (with the round cursor turning). So I decided to restart it but, how surprise, it got stuck on a blue screen. A few more try to shut down and start again, including with the original install DVD, but it's now stuck on the screen with the Apple logo on white background...

Here is what I have done so far:
- removed all the stuff connected to it, there is only the external screen left (mouse and keyboard are wireless).

- tried to start it in safe mode, but nothing happens, it's still stuck on the same Apple screen

- tried to start with the original install DVD, not better (DVD is actually now stuck in the Mini, I can't get it out...)

- tried to start it with Command-S, and a Read Error was displayed. See attached picture of the whole text displayed.

Any idea what this means?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (387.0 KB, 38 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Do you have a wired keyboard and mouse that you can use? When confronted with boot problems it's best to use a wired keyboard and mouse\trackpad. If you have a wired keyboard, try booting with the Option key held down. If that doesn't work, you might try removing the hard drive from the Mini to see if it will boot from the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
thezed

I don't have a wired keyboard or mouse unfortunately. But I know they work because I can boot the Mini in safe mode (holding Shift) and when I do it, instead of being stuck on the Apple logo, the screen gets stuck on a blue screen where I can move my mouse.

Also, I've discovered I can access the shared folders on my Mini from my MacBook on the network. Screen share doesn't work though, only the finder view of the shared folders...

I was wondering if this could be an issue with the RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

have you tried holding down the option key while booting up?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And try zapping the PRAM holding down Command Option P and R keys all at the same time after the chime and keep held down until you hear a third chime. The problem with wireless only keyboards and mouse is they have to boot and start Bluetooth before anything happens.

As chscag suggests get a wired kb and mouse. Invaluable trouble shooters.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When I look at that error in Safe Mode, it can't read something on the hard drive.

Try everything else suggested, but I have a strong feeling your hard drive might be dying.
QUOTE Thanks
thezed

I've tried all the suggestion, including using the original disc and pressing C at the boot up (I get a message that OSX cannot be installed on this computer), and I can't get the computer to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
When I look at that error in Safe Mode, it can't read something on the hard drive.

Try everything else suggested, but I have a strong feeling your hard drive might be dying.
What is strange is that when I start it in safe mode, I get to a blue screen rather than the Apple logo on a white background. And I can then access all my shared folders from any computer on the network.. DOesn't this mean the hard drive is not dead?
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

so does that mean it is actually booting from the install media to give you that error. Can you provide a screenshot of the same?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Maybe not dead but has errors. At least where that one file is located it can't read.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You have to be very specific with us, since we aren't there to watch what you are doing.

Tell us SPECIFICALLY what happens when you restart the machine holding the option key down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alias | Mp3 »