New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OK, so tell me some AWESOME things I don't know about my MBP and OSX...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GratefulMac

GratefulMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB

New MPB, new to OSX, running Lion, every DAY I learn a new, awesome thing I did not know before about one or both of these things, what awesomeness can y'all bestow upon me? Tips? Tricks? Hidden Easter Egg type stuff? GIMME SOMETHING! Fill this newbie up with the KNOWLEDGE! Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure the people out here have lot of them, if you are looking for something specific we will be more than happy to assist you but a broad question does not help...

but I will give you one, try this...
command+shift+4 - you will see the crosshairs click and drag and the area selected is the screenshot which will be placed on your desktop.

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

You can create a PDF from any app that will print. The PDF menu is in the bottom left of your print dialog, and as an added bonus, if you're working with text (Word, Pages, Text Edit, even text in web pages) the PDF will be searchable, so you can do keyword searches later.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Press Control+Option+Command+8.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

When you go to sleep at night the camera turns on and Steve Jobs monitors your room.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
kittonian

kittonian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
When you go to sleep at night the camera turns on and Steve Jobs monitors your room.
I thought he handed that responsibility over to Tim Cook?

Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
And Google is keeping an eye on Steve...
QUOTE Thanks
GratefulMac

Mac Specs: E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
You can create a PDF from any app that will print. The PDF menu is in the bottom left of your print dialog, and as an added bonus, if you're working with text (Word, Pages, Text Edit, even text in web pages) the PDF will be searchable, so you can do keyword searches later.
THAT is the coolest thing I've found yet! I "play at" guitar, and get songs to play/learn from chord sites. I have always had to use Primo PDF to convert, then file in my music folder, and it was a PITA. The "in-bred" .pdf feature ROCKS. THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Command+double clicking any plaintext link will open it in your default browser if your on Lion.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You can make your Mac listen to you and do what you say through Speakable items. ATPM 15.11 - How To: Making Your Own Speakable Items

Check some of the recent issues of that magazine. There's a lot of information about things that can be done using software that's pre-installed on your Mac.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
GratefulMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
You can make your Mac listen to you and do what you say through Speakable items. ATPM 15.11 - How To: Making Your Own Speakable Items

Check some of the recent issues of that magazine. There's a lot of information about things that can be done using software that's pre-installed on your Mac.
Well sweet Miley CYRUS! Ain't THAT something grand! Gonna configure THAT tomorrow on may day off! WOW!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That feature can be a bit temperamental at times but it is interesting. I don't know if they are still there but at one time you could ask the computer to tell you a knock knock joke.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

To switch between windows in an application click command and tilde ~

Command tab switches between applications (you probably know this).
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
To switch between windows in an application click command and tilde ~

Command tab switches between applications (you probably know this).
There's a couple other things you can do when switching between apps with Command + Tab:
  • After bringing up the app switching bar, Command + ~ allows you to move the selection box from right-to-left instead of left-to-right.
  • While the app switching bar is open, you can select an app and hit Command + Q to quit it. You don't even have to make the app active to do so.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

To keep Lion from opening the last page you were on when opening Safari hold down the shift key while clicking on Safari it will return to the home page.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WANTED: MBP...wait til 2012?? | Looking for more space. »