New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Wish to move photos to external HD, how do I "tell" Aperture and iPhoto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GratefulMac

GratefulMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB

So yeah, I have almost 100 GB of photos on my HD, and I also have them on an eternal. I'd like to delete them from the MBP and only access them from the HD, just as I do my music with iTunes. How do I go about this, given that both iPhoto and Aperture have imported and analyzed them on the native unit? Thanks folks!

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Link to one how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

if you already have a backup and just want to delete from the computer than you can trash them directly. Remember iPhoto has it's own trash that you will have to empty manually. Other than that, there is an export feature which will let you move the photos to a different library. Let us know if you want more info on the same.
QUOTE Thanks
GratefulMac

GratefulMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB

Thanks all! I have successfully moved both my iPhoto and Aperture libraries over, easy-squeezy-lemon-pleasy! Yet one more little lesson in how OSX "thinks" and manages files, I appreciate it. And so does my MBP drive!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to share a cd rom drive over a network | new imac no discs, q's on if my main drive dies? »