New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

please see i need help on this.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mets21

Mets21 is on a distinguished road

well i got a new hard drive. and I have nothing on it yet at all. I saw that on apple.com they had the snow leopard software for sale for 29.99 $ i believe that's the 10.6 I was wondering do I have to have a previous version of any software like snow leopard or leopard for it to work on my mac. I dont have any installation disks of previous versions. This is brand new hard drive to. I was hoping to get the software and just put in the cd and go from there and get it working again. let me know i really need help, thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do you have your original install recovery disk? That's what you need to boot the machine and prepare the new hard drive after it's installed in the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Mets21

i do not have the recovery disk at all. i was planning on buying snow leopard 10.6 but i guess thats not going to work?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Mac model and specs is this?
QUOTE Thanks
Mets21

2006 white macbook. western digital hd 160 gb- brand new. no recovery disk at all. so i have nothing. i dont want to spend 160 bucks on new software if not necessary
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

From what you've said, YES the $30 Snow Leopard disk will work for you. You'll still need to buy iLife later on, but that's another purchase for another day.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Your new hard drive will need to be formatted for Mac before you can install Snow Leopard. When the CD runs for the install, look for something that offers "Utilities". From there, run Disk Utility to format your HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
Mets21

ok thanks for the responses. I will buy the snow leopard disk for 30 bucks from best buy and apple and i will try and install it and hope it works from there. SOOO if i put snow leopard disk in,, the hard drive will be formatted when I run disk utilities or will I have to format before install? if thats the case im not sure how to do that. Im a little bit of a noob when it comes to mac. thankss let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

OSX will boot from the CD. On the first try, don't install, just look at the top bar for Utilities and then Disk Utility and then select the internal drive, partition and format it and then you can quit from Disk Utility and finish the installation. Look at this from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why should I switch to Mac? | copy music files to hard drive formatted to windows nt »