New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

new imac no discs, q's on if my main drive dies?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FTLOSM

FTLOSM is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I am a windows convert, new imac here, will admit put windows 7 on it right away lol, but anyways i noticed my imac came with no software backup or restore discs and unlike my windows pc's I saw no make restore discs type prompts once I started using the machine.

This has lion on it btw, so in the event my hard drive dies how do i get back to day one on the apple side at least?

I was reading about time machine and altho i get it as a restore point sort of if my main internal drive is zapped i guess I am just wondering ok how do i even get TO the time machine stuff without a working primary drive etc.

Sorry for such a newbie question, the mac side of things is interesting so far but somewhat different than windows so i am learning everyday...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your hard drive has a hidden recovery partition. To test it out, boot the machine and hold down the Option key. Select the Recovery Partition to boot from.

You can also download the free "Lion Recovery Disk Assistant" from Apple and make a recovery flash drive.
QUOTE Thanks
FTLOSM

FTLOSM is on a distinguished road

Thanks on that, guess I just figured if my main drive dies what good is the recovery portion without a boot disc of Lion, but looks like I can create one on a flash drive hum, guess I gotta make one up and stick it in my just in case folder here...
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

You can also use software called Carbon Copy Cloner to produce a bootable clone of your entire HDD on an external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

The thing about all that is the buyer has to make all the effort, when it would be so simple for Apple to include a USB stick. I've have an iMac for 2 years and I'm still not real comfortable with all the manipuations you have to do.

I know I'm probably alone on this, but I think this is a mistake on Apple's part. This is something that should come with the Mini, especially since the USB sticks available for sale in the Apple stores will not work in the Mini

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I know I'm probably alone on this, but I think this is a mistake on Apple's part. This is something that should come with the Mini, especially since the USB sticks available for sale in the Apple stores will not work in the Mini
Any USB flash drive should work in the Mac Mini. The ones that Apple sells are no different from anyone else.

Also, what's so difficult about downloading the free "Lion Recovery Disk Assistant" or for that matter making your own recovery DVD or flash drive? The instructions for doing either are clear and concise.

I happen to agree that Apple probably should have included a flash drive or DVD with Lion on it for those new Macs that have Lion preinstalled but that was Apple's decision and we have to live with it. However, there's no sense in looking back, just make your own.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I bought an 8GB USB stick, put the "Lion recovery disk assistant" AND the Lion install file as it was downloaded on the stick, so I can either recover or re-install. No brainer to do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wish to move photos to external HD, how do I "tell" Aperture and iPhoto? | Internet Sharing won't Work >:( »