New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Blu Ray

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fireman0174

fireman0174 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC

What options, if any, do I have to play Blu-Ray movies on a Macbook?

From what I am able to ascertain, I don't think I have any.

I have WindowsXP partitioned on the hard drive and I wouldn't care if I had to boot into that system.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The first Blu-ray player for Mac was just discussed here last week. Reading through the thread you'll see there are apparently some glitches with it still.

In Windows, you can use any of the players that work in Windows

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fireman0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The first Blu-ray player for Mac was just discussed here last week. Reading through the thread you'll see there are apparently some glitches with it still.

In Windows, you can use any of the players that work in Windows
Thanks. Not the most encouraging information.

My real goal here is two-fold:

1: Take my Macbook on the road and watch BluRay movies on the hotel room TV. Currently I can only play non-BluRay movies this way.

2: Convert to mp4 (or other format) so they can be viewed on my iPad.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post
Thanks. Not the most encouraging information.

My real goal here is two-fold:

1: Take my Macbook on the road and watch BluRay movies on the hotel room TV. Currently I can only play non-BluRay movies this way.

2: Convert to mp4 (or other format) so they can be viewed on my iPad.

Thanks.
1. Do note that Blu Rays will always require a connection that supports HDCP. So unless the hotel makes an HDMI connection available on their TV, you will likely have issues with that - even with a machine that has a B-R drive and the needed software.

2. We don't discuss illegal activity on this forum, including breaking the encryption mechanisms in Blu Ray discs, which is forbidden by the US DMCA.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fireman0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
1. Do note that Blu Rays will always require a connection that supports HDCP. So unless the hotel makes an HDMI connection available on their TV, you will likely have issues with that - even with a machine that has a B-R drive and the needed software.

2. We don't discuss illegal activity on this forum, including breaking the encryption mechanisms in Blu Ray discs, which is forbidden by the US DMCA.
Well that lets out option #2!

I do have a cable system, that while cumbersome, permits me to play DVDs on the hotel HD TV (HDMI input). I would obviously prefer to play selections from my Blu Ray library.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well that lets out option #2!

I do have a cable system, that while cumbersome, permits me to play DVDs on the hotel HD TV (HDMI input). I would obviously prefer to play selections from my Blu Ray library.
Assuming you want to use the MacBook, your most reliable means of playing Blu-Rays is going to be connecting an external (USB) Blu-Ray drive, using Boot Camp to install Windows and buying something like PowerDVD as the codec.

Figure at least $100 for a copy of Windows and maybe $50 or so for PowerDVD. For that money, you could probably pick up a standalone Blu-Ray player and although not nearly as convenient for portability, will certainly be more cost-effective and easier to configure.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree. Other World Computing has a nice selection of Blue Ray drives and players. You might also look on Amazon.com.
QUOTE Thanks
fireman0174

Quote:
Assuming you want to use the MacBook, your most reliable means of playing Blu-Rays is going to be connecting an external (USB) Blu-Ray drive, using Boot Camp to install Windows and buying something like PowerDVD as the codec.

Figure at least $100 for a copy of Windows and maybe $50 or so for PowerDVD. For that money, you could probably pick up a standalone Blu-Ray player and although not nearly as convenient for portability, will certainly be more cost-effective and easier to configure.
I do have Windows XP on the MacBook, installed through Boot Camp.

So I am correct that the only way to play a BluRay movie on the MacBook is to purchase an external player as the internal MacBook player will not play this format whether I use the mac os or Windows XP.

Am I correct here?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

You may also want to consider buying "Blu Ray Combo" packs, which usually come with a DVD (handy to use in cars) and a digital copy, which imports right into iTunes and can, in-turn, be played on your laptop easily.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I do have Windows XP on the MacBook, installed through Boot Camp.

So I am correct that the only way to play a BluRay movie on the MacBook is to purchase an external player as the internal MacBook player will not play this format whether I use the mac os or Windows XP.

Am I correct here?
That's right. The internal drive is only capable of working with CDs and DVDs. If you want to play Blu-Rays, you'll need a drive that is physically capable of doing so (i.e. an external).

QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Digital copies of blu-rays are great.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Quote:
You may also want to consider buying "Blu Ray Combo" packs, which usually come with a DVD (handy to use in cars) and a digital copy, which imports right into iTunes and can, in-turn, be played on your laptop easily.
I usually wait for those. I think they are the best options.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I must be missing something here, but unless this is something you do literally CONSTANTLY, wouldn't it be FAR less hassle to just rent the desired movie in HD from iTunes?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External hdd works on both Mac and PC? | Why is the application-text yellow? »