New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why is my external dvd burner sooo SLOW!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shift

shift is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. I need some tech support.

I own a Mac mini.
I use Roxio Toast (burn software)

Just recently my external LG DVD burner died. it was hooked up as firewire. Worked great 8X dvd+r's on a full 4.7 gig dvdr would be completed withing 6-7 minutes.

Since my LG died. I got a new external burner.
It is a FD (Fantom Drives) model# Aopen DUW1616. This unit is only USB 2.0.

So I hook up he FD to my mini directly to its USB port. Roxio detected and was able to burn and media works. The problem is thats it is sooo darn slow!! Toast says it will complete burn in like 6 min and 32 sec. Well them 6/32 is more like 24 minutes total completion to done.

So I did a little test. Pulled out dragon burn. Since dragon burn has a timer. the dvd+r that I recorded w/ dragon burn was set at 8x and it took over 25 minutes to complete.

The DVD media I am using is FUJI 8X. These are the same media I used in my old LG which worked great and burned fast.

So my question is what is the problem?? Why is my burner taking so long to burn a 4.7 DVD+R media???

Here is my burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827191011

Thanks 4 any help. :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This is just an off the wall guess but I have seen this happen. It could be your burner is not supported fully by OSX and maybe it's really burning at a much slower speed. Otherwise I do not know what is going on. I have an external Sony USB 2.0 or Firewire and either way on my Mini it goes full speed with either CDR's or DVD while burning. The Sony is for sure supported. Sorry if this does not help but it's a possibliity.
QUOTE Thanks
shift

so what can I do to fix??

The FD burner I got says its mac supported. Is there any steps I need to do to get it to fully work at best??

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

http://www.patchburn.de/ check it out

also a note on usb 2.0 ...although it can be very fast its speeds are not always at said very fast speed. the speed can fluctuate from being extremely slow to extremely fast. this might be where your slow burn times are coming from.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I went to the website of the maker of your drive. On the USB 2.0 version no where does it say Mac or OSX. On the Firewire version it says clearly Mac osx 10.2.8 and above but the USB version says PC only even on the spec sheet. like CoachZ said, try patchburn. See if things get better. I also agree on the USB 2.0 part but have really not had trouble at that speed on my sony and USB 2.0.

There is another thing I just thought of also and if everything else fails, it can't hurt to try it. Maybe your NEW burner does not like that brand of Media. Seen that happen all too many times, and it's going slow. Had that with some Memorex 4x blanks on my Plextor 16X Dual Layer.
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
http://www.patchburn.de/ check it out

also a note on usb 2.0 ...although it can be very fast its speeds are not always at said very fast speed. the speed can fluctuate from being extremely slow to extremely fast. this might be where your slow burn times are coming from.
-chris

I have 10.3.9 OSX. I dont have Tiger.

Which would I have to download??
QUOTE Thanks
shift

DL' it. Will see if it worked. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Dtravis which Sony model you got? And were u buy it at?

If anything.. I think I will go with a LACIE
New Egg is really good about exchanging. I pay alittle more, but I will not get to mess with so much BS.
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Well just rebooted after the pathburn. Still performs the same.

a 4.3gig starts off @ 6 min 32 sec. Count down is slow. For every second from TOAST is 3 seconds lost. So I am loosing 3 secs per every 1 seconds. So 6min 32seconds times 3 is a really bad time of dvd burn completion. YUCK!!

So its a little over 20 minutes to burn a 4.3 gig dvd+r.

DVD burner is going back to its store. neye:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If you go LaCie get a Firewire drive. I also have a LaCie Firewire 52x and it's FAST as on any P4. The Sony I have it a model or so back so you will not find it new.
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Well I just order this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showim...L%2FT+-+Retail
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safar surfin is slow | Stubborn desktop folders »