One big Question need help!!
    alright here is the situation. my macbook died three months ago. Hard drive failure was the issue. There was big question mark flashing. So last week I decided to finally fix the issue and buy new hard drive and battery. My Cd/Dvd drive doesn't work. I need to install the operating system again because my hard drive died. How am I going to do this? Do I use an external Hard drive? If I downloaded the os or leopard to my external hard drive can I install it on boot up? I really need help on this because honestly I'm not sure where to start or what to do. I can not use my cd/dvd drive because its broken so no installation disk. Also If I downloaded leopard off the internet and put in on usb thumb or external do you think I can install it that way? Let me know and thanks guys.

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    If you are using a Core 2 or newer Macbook, id recommend just grabbing the OSX Lion USB thumbdrive and using that. Getting a USB install of Leopard working is a PITA.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

well i have a late 2006 macbook. My friend downloaded leopard 10.6 on to external hard drive. im just hoping it will recognize the hard drive when boot up. Im just a little uncertain on how to install the os on there with the new hard drive i got esepcially when i dont have working cd/dvd drive. I am a n00b. sorry about that. Any more replys would be great.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mets21 View Post
    well i have a late 2006 macbook. My friend downloaded leopard 10.6 on to external hard drive. im just hoping it will recognize the hard drive when boot up. Im just a little uncertain on how to install the os on there with the new hard drive i got esepcially when i dont have working cd/dvd drive. I am a n00b. sorry about that. Any more replys would be great.

BC your friend downloaded Leopard 10.6 (which in itself is confusing. Leopard is 10.5 and 10.6 is SnowLeopard) either way they are not down loadable, we can't talk about Pirated anything within this forum. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    get a cheap external dvd reader and the official retail CD and install that way.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Thread Information