New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New here - Lion install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KirkDS

KirkDS is on a distinguished road

Greetings! I'm new to the Mac party...had my MBP for a couple of months now and love it. You guys were right...everything IS easier and more awesome. I've also enjoyed reading many topics and conversations here since discovering the site a few hours ago.

So, I figure I'll kick things off with a dumb question.

I recently upgraded to Lion via download, but I'd like to start fresh with a clean OS install. How do I accomplish this? Being a long time Windows guy, I assume I need a Lion disk, but since there always seems to be magic involved with anything Mac related, I thought I'd ask if there might be some process that I havent imagined yet. For the record, I haven't started backing up to an external drive yet or created a boot disk.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

OS X Lion: How to Do a Clean Install
QUOTE Thanks
KirkDS

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

I see you haven't created any backups. If you have something worth in it I would recommend backing up before a fresh install.
QUOTE Thanks
KirkDS

Yep, just got a Time Capsule at lunch today I assume it's easy to copy data back over from the backup once you've performed an OS install....let's hope.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkDS View Post
Yep, just got a Time Capsule at lunch today I assume it's easy to copy data back over from the backup once you've performed an OS install....let's hope.
Thanks!
Once you have performed the clean install, go to Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant to migrate your data/apps/settings back to the machine.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few questions from a fairly new Mac user | Newbie x2 »