New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Does Microsoft Office 2004 work with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keydismukes

keydismukes is on a distinguished road

I am having to upgrade to Snow Leopard - does anyone know if it will still support Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac? I couldn't find this answer on Microsoft Office Mac website. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

According to this yes but may require Rosetta. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table - Snow Leopard Compatibility
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Yes, but since it requires installing Rosetta, it will not work with Lion, should you choose to upgrade at some point.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Compared to Office 2011 it is a pretty old and slow application. Lash out on office 2011 and it will be there when you do upgrade to Lion. Office 2011 is rock steady, fast, and leaves the el cheeps in its dust.

Thanks mate!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I use 2004 on Leopard. Can't imagine it wouldn't work on SL. I'm debating moving up to 2011, maybe a Christmas present...
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

Yes, Office 2004 will work with Snow Leopard. My son has it installed on his machine, as we had a licensed academic copy that he installed on his new MacBook that he bought last year.

He has had some issues, however, with getting the .docx converter to download and install. Because of this, he's heading to the college bookstore this semester to get a copy of Office 2011.

Don't know if he wasn't installing the compatibility pack correctly or not, but when he was home this summer, I advised him to just upgrade. If you can, it would probably be a good idea, too. The newer version is far superior.

"The only thing that is constant is change." -- Heraclitus
QUOTE Thanks
roughbeast

roughbeast is on a distinguished road

The thing is I like Entourage, and 2011 of course doesn't have it. I couldn't afford the version that includes Outlook in 2011, and besides my wife has it and hates it. I also can't stand SL's Mail - the IF sucks. So I have 2004 - and I like using Word 2004 because it's easier to do arty stuff - the tool bars on 2011 are messed up by comparison, or maybe it's just my old brain, but every time I try to use it for art projects I just get mad. Anyway, Entourage works great most of the time, but lately it keeps losing its ability to use color in text and background - clicking on color freezes it, and I have to force quit. I've reinstalled it, updated it, NOT updated it, and sometimes it'll start working right and then after awhile once again lose the color (my wife and I exchange emails using color for embedded replies). First I thought the problem was the OS X updates because this first happened after the latest update. So I reinstalled OS X and didn't update, and Entourage started working again. It was fine until my Mac tech told me to run OnyX - and ever since Entourage has lost/regained/lost again its color function, despite reinstalls of OS X and Office 2004. In all these reinstalls, Entourage has never lost any of my emails, preferences, rules, etc. - very steady that way. OK, that was a long story - but just wanted to be complete because I've done a lot trying to fix it. Any suggestions? (Besides going with Mac Mail or Outlook) Thanks people
QUOTE Thanks
roughbeast

Forgot to add - SnowChecker doesn't even list any Office programs except Messenger (which I don't use), and when I install 2004 OS X doesn't pop open the Rosetta window asking if I want to install it because Office 2004 isn't compatible. I can't find Rosetta in OS X, not in Apps or Utilities, so I can't install it even to see if it could make Entourage work better.
QUOTE Thanks
roughbeast

OK, never mind for now, unless somebody's got some insight for when it happens the next time. I updated everything - OS X and 2004 - and now Entourage has regained its color function. But I was updated in everything when this issue first arose, so I expect it will rise again, and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

I use Office 2004 on my SL 10.6.8 machine. With Rosetta it is pretty slow. I tried Open Office, but didn't like that either and it was also slow. My machine won't support Lion so it isn't an issue with keeping Rosetta going.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

Zeke_D will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB

I am using Office 2004 with Snow on my 13" MacBook Pro i5. Ignore the directions and just download the openXML converter. You will be fine.

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
[ 12" iBook 1.33ghz | 1.25gb RAM | Mobility Radeon 9550 | 40gb HDD ]
[ eMac 1ghz | 1gb RAM | Radeon 9200 32mb | 240gb HDD | Airport Extreme ]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacPro Build Advice. | You can't partition Time Capsule! »