New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Creating a new iTunes Library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Iankv

Iankv is on a distinguished road

My wife and I have different tastes in music and she doesn't want my stuff sync'ed in to her iPod. So I thought I would create two libraries.

I pulled up the relevant help thread and it told me to press and hold the Options key and click on the iTunes icon in the dock.

First, I struggle to find the Options key until I phone my son who tells me that the Options key is actually marked Alt - I thought Apple were better than that, that's a PC sort of trick.

Anyway having found that Options is really Alt, I tried doing as instructed and all it did was open the iTunes application. On my son's Mac which is running the same operating system he gets a little dialogue box come up which offers him the option to create a new library - I don't.

My son is baffled and so am I - does anyone out there have any ideas?

Rgds Ian
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ian:

I'm sitting in front of a Mac with three keyboards handy: the one on my laptop, the Bluetooth one I'm typing this on, and the one my wife uses on the table behind me.

All three of them CLEARLY have the word "option" printed on them on the appropriate key.

I must conclude that you are not, in fact, using an Apple or third-party Mac-compatible keyboard, and that therefore this inability to find the Option key is entirely your own fault. This is probably also why holding the option key to create the new library isn't working.

Update: checked two other Apple keyboards I had in storage -- IOW, every keyboard model Apple has released in the last 10 years. Every one of them says "option" on it, though I should note that some versions of the original iMac keyboard from 1998 did NOT say "option" on them. But that's how far you have to go back to find an Apple keyboard that doesn't have the word "option" physically printed on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Iankv

'Fraid not. Its a genuine Apple wireless keyboard complete with Apple log on teh back and a (c) 2009 Apple inc. insignia. My son also has a genuine Apple keyboard - he Skyped me and held it up to the camera to show that it was the same and that it had Alt on it.

Maybe the new ones have Alt and the old ones had Options
QUOTE Thanks
Iankv

Just read to the end of the previous post and realised that your keyboards are the same vintage as mine if they are Bluetooth.

Maybe the European ones have alt and the N American ones have Options.

Rgds Ian
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't claim to know all there is about Apple hardware and history, but FWIW the current Wireless Keyboard has "Option" at the bottom of the key and "Alt" above it.

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Apple Store (U.S.)

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Iankv

Mine has the Alt but no Options. At least I now know where the Options key is.

Thks Ian
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Ditto here. I have an Apple wired keyboard and a new BT keyboard. Both have "alt" in small letters on top and "Option" in large letters on the bottom.

Could be that the OP has a European keyboard which may be different. Perhaps one of our members from the UK can confirm?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankv View Post
Mine has the Alt but no Options. At least I now know where the Options key is.

Thks Ian
Something you may want to do, since I assume from your post that you and your wife are sharing the MacBook but don't want to neccessarily share music. If that is the case you can give your wife a seperate login by setting up another User Account.
Then, you can share or not share music, photos, files etc as you choose.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 8 GB Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Ditto here. I have an Apple wired keyboard and a new BT keyboard. Both have "alt" in small letters on top and "Option" in large letters on the bottom.

Could be that the OP has a European keyboard which may be different. Perhaps one of our members from the UK can confirm?
I have the European apple keyboard, USB type and it has just got alt on it. I'm in the UK.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 7.1
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ah, okay, my mistake sir. I do apologise. I was assuming you were in North America.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I go back to OS X Snow Leopard? | Adware popups »