New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why does my mac seem to have slowed down

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GJ85

GJ85 is on a distinguished road

Ok so I have had this mac, the 21.5 inch $1499.99 model, for about 3 weeks now, and from the day I got it until the last 4-5 days it has seemed a little slowed down or choppy. Like when I click my mouse to get out of sleep mode the rainbow circle comes up for like 5-10 seconds and then even scrolling down web pages it feels a little choppy. What is the cause for this? Also when I first got this I had snow leopard I think on it and it was super fast and 2 days after I got it I put on Lion and right after I got Lion it seemed to slow down, so could it be that Lion is making it progressively slower? I want the mac to be the way it was when I first used it, I got it because I knew how fast and sleek and smooth it was but it isn't acting like that now...
QUOTE Thanks
Filterlab

Filterlab is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah

Simple stuff first:

There's an update out for Lion; 10.7.1. Run Software Update and try that.

Then, open Disk Utility and select your Hard Drive from the list on the left. Click 'Repair Disk Permissions' and let it run. Don't disturb the process.

Try those first and see what happens.

I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Are you closing your applications? The Red X does NOT close them, they just go into the background. If they are running there, they take resources. When leave an application, close it from the menu, don't click the X.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I close those programs that I don't want to be open in the background. Some I want to be open, for instance excel so that it opens new files very rapidly. When I am completely finished with excel files I then close the program completely.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

The more things you have running in the background when it goes to sleep, the more time it has to take to restore those running things to where they were. It can take a few seconds for each one to get back to the earlier state, during which time the response can be a bit choppy. I try to close everything before i put my MBP to sleep so that it wakes up quickly. The only delay I see now is the time it takes to reconnect to my wireless network, which is more the wireless modem than the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

can you check activity monitor and see if there is a process that is consuming most CPU/RAM?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Am I joining the Mac Pro party too late? | 13" Air or 13" MBP »