New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time Machine:include from excluded?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I've excluded certain folders (ie applications) in my Time Machine Backup (I use an external not Time Capsule) but there are some apps I prefer not to have to reinstall so I would like to have TM include them.. ie MS Office or CS.

Is there some way to include these apps, also find the dependents (plists etc) that go with them even tho I've excluded the apps folder or should I or could I have installed them in a different folder or copy them seperately outside of the timemachine backup?

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

If you are the only user of these applications, you could copy those few apps to an Applications folder in your home directory, and include that folder in your backups. I don't think it matters in which Application folder the apps reside, the updaters should be smart enough to find them.

If the apps are shared by multiple users on the computer, then you'll need to remove the Applications folder from the exclusions list and individually select apps you would like to exclude from backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Wow thanks for the quick reply! Yes I'm the only user but I've probably set it to shared (not sure if that matters). But it will find its dependents also or do I need to find those at all (not talking of documents or things I've created with them)?

If it's saved on one account and not another, is it still valid?

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Depends on what you have excluded besides Applications. Apps will save support files in the Library folders, Documents, and sometimes to their own application packages. I'd make sure the main /Library folder gets backed up (not /System/Library), and the Library and Documents folders in your home directory (ideally I'd get the whole user folder). That should get all the support files needed to restore the applications properly if required.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Thank you very much...

Although I think my siggy is still trying to kick my butt

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« zip problem | can someone explain to me what »